Why become a member? ×

Bartolini Advice please

supabock

[size=5]Hi all,[/size]

[size=5][color=#000000][font=Arial]I currently have a set of Wizard Pups from John Shuker fitted to my Oily white 5 string Sei bass and a Jretro deluxe preamp. The pups are what i guess we call soap bars and they have the following impedance values on them: Bridge 12.2kOhm and Neck 10kOhm. The dimensions are 105mm x 30mm and about 25/30mm deep.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial]Im thinking about swapping them out for a set of Bartolini's like those installed on my other Sei or similar, but quite frankly don't know where to start in terms of looking for something of similar impedance, or if that's the case will they just sound the same as i already have? [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial]I have checked out the Jazz style pups on my other Sei, but there is no indicator as to what they are apart from Bartolini's, so not much help really, but if i could get the same or similar to these Barts then i would be happy. [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial]Any help or advice would be appreciated.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by supabock

well, i don't know about these things to be honest and I'm guessing that different pups have different characters, and i don't really want to find some by trial and error.....or is it a case of, Barts would be better than Wizards, or Duncans or do i have to narrow it down to "i like a punchy jazz parpy sound" and then wait for someone to say.... hey, these are what you need??

Depends on what Wizards you have.

I think the reason Barts excel in some situations is that they have an inherrent thinner sound which is easy to embellish with a pre.
The old case of being able to add but not subtract things like bass easily, if at all.

Martin should have a take on this as Barts are gernerally his preferred option, IMO.
But I would have also thought that KA or Wizard could make you what you want... ask them.. as they know what makes a very good pickup and its bias and nuances, IMO.
It is what they do......

When I had KA make me custom winds, the only problem was what pickup case we needed to use as that had to fit the cavity.

Edited by JTUK

Impedance along with inductance is important for the sound of a pickup...but it sounds like you're talking about DC resistance, which is different and largely irrelevant in itself especially when comparing pickups with different construction techniques (magnets, wire type). Ignore the DC resistance values when comparing different product ranges and go with the tone descriptions - yes, it's woolly but the real specs that describe a pickup behaviour are rarely released, unfortunately.