Why become a member? ×

Guy finds 62/63 Shell Pink Jazz Bass..it's all going off on Talkbass

umcoo

I'm halfway through reading this, but seems a pretty amazing find!

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/1962-1963-shell-pink-vintage-fender-precision-jazz-bass-help-info-please-855542/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/1962-1963-shell-pink-vintage-fender-precision-jazz-bass-help-info-please-855542/[/url]

Jaw = on the floor. Unbelievable instrument, absolutely stunning.

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1329610271' post='1544944']
A friend of mine picked up a 1962 P bass from a charity shop in Liverpool just before Christmas. Not nearly in as good a condition as this Jazzer, but he only payed £80 for it......it's genuine as well.

D.
[/quote]

Bloody hell, where abouts in town?? I do wish I could inherit some beauty of a pre-CBS or walk into a pawn shop and pick one up for £80.

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1329611303' post='1544951']
I'm still not finished, but I kind of feel sorry for the guy. Been laid off, got 3 kids and finds a bass worth about $35,000. I really hate when people on forums become lawyers/professional etc!!
[/quote]

Annoying isn't it. I am in agreement that it was probably a bit of a bad plan posting up so quickly on Talkbass as its full of priggish behaviour and 'internet experts', but its harsh to see him copping so much flak.

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1329609747' post='1544935']I'm halfway through reading this, but seems a pretty amazing find![/quote]
Have read the other replies, so know my view diverges from the "lucky guy" sentiments already express, but this was "found" only if you extend the definition of the word "find" to include theft. This item was "found" in the sense that a burglar, having forced entry to your home, and departed with your laptop and flat screen TV, can be said to have "found" those items. Certainly, he may have had legitimate purposes for being at and on the property, but by removing an item from those premises which he has no property right in is theft. My mind goes to events here, in the UK, last week, when a street cleaner "found" a number of valuable wrist watches, which he duly delivered to the local constabulary as, at law, he is obliged to do. If he had done otherwise, by retaining those wrist watches, his action would through the act of retaining translate from being one of finding to one of theft (specifically, theft by retention).

If one reads the thread, it appears (as far as anyone can [i]know[/i]) that the bass was sold to the purchaser by an employee of a maintenance company clearing rental premises where the previous occupier had died.

The premises having been vacated, it is alleged that the property rights resided with the rental landlords who authorised their employee to sell it on; and that the current owner claims that the transaction complies with his home State's law and has been legally validated.

Now that's what the thread's OP claims to be the case. The whole thing could be a hoax, a wind-up or a fabrication. After all, people will post any old nonsense to get kudos from their online community. The big fracas on TB (which actually isn't that much of a fracas by our standards here) is about the morality of the purchase rather than the loveliness of the bass. Which latter is what really matters, after all.

I didn't get to see any of the original pics but I'm just stunned by some of the geekage being displayed.

"[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The lesson there is the 60-63 Jazzes used different screws. The pickguard had the typical countersunk screw heads. While the control plate and the ashtray covers used a smaller size flat head pan screws...no countersink."[/font][/color]

How on earth can someone talk about the use of different screws on basses that were the epitome of mass produced? How many basses would one person have to see between 1960 and 1963 to form an authorative opinion on the consistency of countersinking? I suggest you couldn't do that with Peaveys made in the last 20 years.

Have these people lost their f***ing minds? Since when did geekage become a competitive sport?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1329640177' post='1545039']
How on earth can someone talk about the use of different screws on basses that were the epitome of mass produced? How many basses would one person have to see between 1960 and 1963 to form an authorative opinion on the consistency of countersinking? I suggest you couldn't do that with Peaveys made in the last 20 years.
[/quote]

There are some people who can do that with some accuracy.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1329641342' post='1545058']
There are some people who can do that with some accuracy.
[/quote]
Would love to see how accurate. Speculation from people who were there and mostly saw what was happening? Who then spoke to someone else before it became enshrined in hyperbole that is otherwise known as folklore? Or indisputable evidence in the form of invoices?

I can't remember the names of companies I employed from some of my projects 5 years ago. I'm not generally considered to be stupid by my current colleagues. I'm utterly stunned at the memory of people who would able to remember that kind of detail from 50 years ago.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1329642573' post='1545076']
Fixed that for ye.
[/quote]

I thangyew.

This is exactly why Im not on TB. Every opportunity to rip in to someone.

As for the 'knowledge' on old Fenders? Iv heard theres a wonderful world outside! Come on, who cares. These are the kind of players that probably stress over the affect the head stock laquer has on the bass' tone.

Just play the bloody thing, thats what its there for!

Dan

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1329640177' post='1545039']
Have these people lost their f***ing minds? Since when did geekage become a competitive sport?
[/quote]

Round about the time that this first went on Youtube; B-b-b-baby you just ain't seen nothing yet! How many of these people commenting find it impossible to differentiate between life & fantasy? Check out teh comments from about 2-3 months ago & previously.............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxhrPaaCA4

Here's s clip of the Fender factory in 1959. Everything around then and for the next few years was very much "use what's available". Hardware was used as it was available, neck shapes depended upon how operatives fed the wood into the routers, etc. All these anoraks who profess exact knowledge most probably are bedroom techno geeks.

If you ask guys who ACTUALLY deal with genuine vintage stuff (guys like Clive Brown), they'll tell you that specs can be different from guitar to guitar from the same mAnufacturing period around that time.

Anyhow, here's the clip I mentioned earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswcAPvH0P8&sns=em

I love that '59 film, seen it before & love seeing it every time. The quantities amaze me, even in those days :unsure:

My dad was a carpenter, joiner & cabinet maker - I remember his workshop from a very early age, he didn't have electricity let alone machinery in 1959! Mind you he was making one-offs :)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1329657972' post='1545382']God knows what the rules are in America . But I know for talk sake my house which is Northern Ireland Housing Executive. ... So going on the knowledge of how it works with our house I don't see it as inconceivable the same could apply elsewhere in the world.[/quote]
Except, what you're describing is a contractual arrangement, where clauses in the lease agreement, or in a subsidiary document referred to in that agreement, set out operational procedures to be followed on termination. There will also be a statement saying that the contract does not exclude the operation of the general law in relation to Crown reservation, "antiquities", "treasure trove", and high-value items, and how such should be treated in other situations, such as abandonment.