Why become a member? ×

Flats without silk? Or minimal silk? Ideas please!

fonzoooroo

Anyone know of any?

Or something with silks that allow for oversize scale length?

Reason for asking is I'm working on a mando bass, which is a 37 1/2" scale length.

It came in with phos bronze acoustic bass guitar strings on. Sounded nasty - all tinny and top endy. I suggested electric flats, because if I fitted 1/2 double bass strings, the silk at the ball end would extend about 4" up the playing surface (It has a seperate tail piece, but close up to the bridge.)

Snag with all the flats I've measured is the silk at the tuner end - it always seems to allow for a 35 1/2" max. scale length. (I've checked Ernie Ball, Fender, and Thomastik.) D'addario 1/2 rounds are silk-less, but I'd rather go for true flats.

I'l point the camera at the instrument in the next couple of days and post on here - bit of an interesting beast!

Here you go:

Beautiful strings, my favourite by far & I've just checked mine on a P bass - there is 38"" before the silk top end, no silks at the bridge end.

EDIT: Just noticed the last picture is of a Black Nylon string envelope but they're all the same length.
HTH,
Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon