Why become a member? ×

Overwater (by Tanglewood) - impressions?

Bassmekanik

Hello BC.

I`m a new member on here. Having read through some stuff the last few days seems a nice site you chaps have. Looking forward to having a new regular forum to read.

Anyways, on to what this post is for.

I`m looking at buying myself another bass so i have something i can carry around and gig with/get pissed when out and about and that i dont have to stress about "too" much that its sitting in the corner of a room/out of my sight/whatever compared to my current most played bass.

Currently i play (and gig) my Rickenbacker Blackstar but ive started to feel a touch uncomfortable having it in pubs etc, especially if i`m not driving straight home.

Which brings me to Overwaters. To be honest, its not a brand that i have heard much of, or played (i live way up north in aberdeen, bass choice up here is rather rubbish). I`m off to try some out this week in Dundee (bit of a hike for me) and just wondered what impressions any of you good chaps on here might have of them? They look like nice basses but not much i can tell about them other than that from just pics. Ive had a look through their website and they do appear to have a very good pedigree. Do their "budget" range come up to the same standards as their more expensive, custom models?

As a side note, i had originally been looking at getting myself a Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 but it seems that i would have a 9 month wait for one in the colour i want, and i kind of want to get a bass in the next week or 2 while i have the cash.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

[quote name='Bassmekanik' timestamp='1329761081' post='1546918']
Do their "budget" range come up to the same standards as their more expensive, custom models?

[/quote]

well of course not! but they are very very very good. The passive one i tried sounded amazing.

If you do a search you will find a posting, (or 2), already about the Tanglewaters.
Chris May brought the first ones to the Moffat Bass Bash last year just before they were released.
They do not look or feel like a budget range at all. The contempory Jazz is a stunner. The idea is to provide an affordable enrtry into Overwater and in that they succeed IMHO

A proper Overwater can be a stunning bass so I wasn't that impressed when I heard they were going to dilute that marque with a budget range.
Others say it works.... but I guess the only one who will know is you and your tastes.

I wouldn't have put a Tanglewood Overwater in the league of backup spare job bass.
I get the impression it will be better than that. If I was looking for a bass to throw around and stick in the corner andf forget about it, I'd look way lower
down the scale. But then, I couldn't see me using a Tanglewood Overwater either,

By "put it in a corner" i mean i wont be freaking out every second i`m out and about that its vanished to the extent i do about the blackstar. I`ll still be keeping it safe.

However i want a (very) good bass because i dont see why i should settle for some budget piece of crap to play too - it will probably be used more often than my ricky for gigs etc if its that good. I have an old throw-away bass but unfortunately it plays like crap so i dont use it at all.

Ach well, it matters not, i`ll be trying some out tomorrow and will see for myself then.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a Classic J at the LBGS last week. Not used it in anger at a gig yet but spent a pleasant afternoon noodling on it :o whilst watching the rugby yesterday afternoon. Plays very nicely and I shall be taking it along to r/h and probably Friday's gig this week as it is just down the road

Just returned from the Northern Guitar Show in Tyneside, and I tried a Tanglewater contemporary jazz whilst there. I was astounded at how good it was. Fabulous fast neck and excellent electronics. Great build quality too. Baragin in my opinion for about £500. I would have bought had I not just bought an ACG a couple of weeks ago. Find one and play it - you will not be disappointed.