Why become a member? ×

2 same cables with same plugs I soldered, one is slightly duller than the other???

1976fenderhead

I have 2 cables I've been using for years, which I soldered myself:

First cable is van Damme with Neutrik plugs (one straight and one right angle)
Second cable is van Damme with Neutrik plugs (both right angle), 1m shorter than the other one.

This week I replaced one of the right-angle plugs on the shorter (second) cable, as the tip was coming off. When I A-B them, the second cable sounds a bit duller. I don't know if that was the case before, as I don't remember if I A-B'd them before... So since they're all Neutrik plugs and the same cable, I'm putting this down to either my soldering or the solder I used (I'm not sure if it's the same solder on all jacks)... Any tips on how a good soldering should be (am I using too much/too little?) or what solder I should use maybe, if that's what's causing this?

Thanks.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1329917750' post='1549652']
have you stood on the duller one more than the other one?
[/quote]

No, trying to play the same exact notes for the same amount of time.

I've now A-B'd these two with another cable (same thing except even longer cable and both plugs are straight) and that's also brighter. So only this one, shorter with 2 right-angle plugs is a little duller than the other 2. I've looked at it again and there's a tiny single thread of the mesh which may be touching a metal part of the plug (hard to explain), could that be it? I can't reach it without unsoldering so may as well repeat the whole thing again :rolleyes:

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1329918315' post='1549670']
No, trying to play the same exact notes for the same amount of time.

I've now A-B'd these two with another cable (same thing except even longer cable and both plugs are straight) and that's also brighter. So only this one, shorter with 2 right-angle plugs is a little duller than the other 2. I've looked at it again and there's a tiny single thread of the mesh which may be touching a metal part of the plug (hard to explain), could that be it? I can't reach it without unsoldering so may as well repeat the whole thing again :rolleyes:
[/quote]

no what I mean is that you say you have been using the same cable for a number of years. In that time has the cable been stood on? or wrapped tightly, or tied in knots or anything? That will damage the cable over time and change both it's resistance and capacitance. My guess would be that your solder is fine, but the cable is worn.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1329919004' post='1549693']
no what I mean is that you say you have been using the same cable for a number of years. In that time has the cable been stood on? or wrapped tightly, or tied in knots or anything? That will damage the cable over time and change both it's resistance and capacitance. My guess would be that your solder is fine, but the cable is worn.
[/quote]

Oh sorry. I use both equally but this is the one I use between the bass and the pedalboard so I'd say it has been stepped on more, yes. Also I've ran over it sometimes with the wheels of my desk chair (with carpet underneath)... hmm...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1329919794' post='1549722']
new cable, same plugs- and you get to practice the soldering again!
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm going to swap them, my spare (least used) cable becomes my main one (after cut a bit shorter as it's too long) and this duller one becomes the spare... Thanks. Btw, could you explain what physically causes those changes in capacitance and resistance in a stepped on/stressed cable? (meaning, the breakage or wearing out of such part causes such to happen, etc)

So only this one, shorter with 2 right-angle plugs is a little duller than the other 2.
[/quote]

Probably the high frequencies are having trouble traveling round two right-angles, compared with just the one. ;)

I've looked at it again and there's a tiny single thread of the mesh which may be touching a metal part of the plug (hard to explain), could that be it?
[/quote]

More seriously, if the 'mesh' - I presume you mean the cable screen - is touching the outside metal of the plug then it's unlikely to be causing a problem, but if it's touching the signal pin metalwork - I.e. the tip - then it might affect things, although that would normally be a dead short and the cable wouldn't work at all. In either case, just cut back the 'mesh' with some small side-cutters.

Bet I know what's gone wrong here. :)

This is easier to show than it is to explain, so bear with me.

Remove the outer cable casing and you can see the braid.
Untangle it and twist it to make a sensible earth you can work with.

You are now left with a black wire - this is where things go wrong.
That layer is actually a conductive sheath over the plastic insulation of the centre core and needs to be removed.
I usually run a scalpel blade gently around it (it's very thin) and slide it off.

If that black layer comes into contact with the centre pin of the plug then you're creating a partial short, so make sure you strip it well back.

Once you've done that you'll get to the inner core insulation which you just strip back in the usual manner to give you a suitable length to work with.

Thanks for the tips everyone. So first of all I swapped my spare and my main cables - this involved swapping the new right angle plug too, with one in the other cable. I haven't checked the previously dull cable yet, but the 2 now main cables are nice and bright.

I also confess I didn't know that the black insulation (electrostatic shield) had to stay well clear of the centre tip. I looked at all my cables and though it doesn't seem like it's touching it apart from on one of the plugs (out of 6), it's dangerously close because I haven't been stripping it more than the the transparent shield inside. So tomorrow I will detach and reattach all centre tip contacts making sure to remove that black shield properly before reattaching.

Thanks all for the info once again! :)

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Interesting!

I had this problem with a stretch of 3m cheap unbalanced cable. The shielding and core was so small and cable was so long that the capacitance of the cable was much lower than average.

Blah, blah, blah, a low pass was formed knocking a load of top end off the signal.

I wouldn't expect this with van damme but maybe the kicking and wear and tear of the cable has broken or thinned out some of the shielding and or core?

Ok, so I've redone all plugs caring to cut the black sleeve back... I can't really hear much difference between the cables now... because I'm looking for it, I guess I can say the dull cable is still a bit dull, but certainly less than before. If I wasn't looking for it, I doubt I'd notice... So it seems more likely it was the electrostatic shield touching the centre tip causing it, but I'd say there's alo a tiny difference coming from the cable being more stressed than the others... Anyway, problem solved :)