Why become a member? ×

Delivering a bass in a large flightcase - cost and wrapping?

Clarky

Hi all, a BCer wants to try out my Bruce Johnson bass but is at the other end of the country and neither of us have plans to travel in the other's direction any time soon. The bass comes in a whopping great aluminium cornered flight case (18" x 6" x 54"; pictured below) and the whole thing weighs about 50 pounds.

Has anyone had something like this delivered in the UK with Interparcel/ParcelForce etc? Will they accept something this big and heavy and do you recall roughly how much it cost? Also, would you try to put some wrapping around it or is this negating the whole point of a flight case!!!! Incidentally it has those turning locks where metal 'plates' slides together as you twist the lock and doesn't have a key so in theory it could be opened in transit.

All suggestions/help gratefully received!

[attachment=100755:flightcase400.jpg]

OK I've partly answered my own questions by going on the Interparcel website. The size/weight don't seem to be an issue (the quote was only around £15, albeit with minimal insurance). So that box is ticked

What about securing it or wrapping it? What would you do?

Forget bubblewrap... the weight of that thing will kill any form of it. With those kind closures, I'm pretty sure you can use a cable/zip tie to keep it closed. I'd give it a layer of thick cardboard on the outside, and if you've got enough tape, mummify it to make it really obvious if it's been tampered with.

I sent a flight cased bass overnight Felixstowe to Cardiff for £15 insured so that price is competitive. It was wrapped in brown paper and bubble wrap just to protect the cover of the flight case from nicks. The flight case was there to protect the bass and if that was inadequate, I suspect the truck was at the bottom of a cliff on fire and nothing would save it!! It got there no problem (Parcel Monkey).

I'd have the potential buyer pay the full asking price and arrange courier collection. That way, the responsibility of selecting an appropriate courier is his/hers, and if there is damage or loss (and the courier fails to pay compensation) you will not be out of pocket. The last time I tried to claim compensation from a courier I never even got a response from them.

Huh, call that a flight case!, now this IS a flight case!

I had to have it custom made for the rediculously large bass that lives in it (Adrenaline Flight cases are awesome if you're looking for one- they did not line it with the velvet though)

Here is how it turned up

I had a flightcase sent to me once covered with bin bags!

I agree with others, if you don't cover it with cardboard, then use loads of packing tape to make sure it doesn't pop open in the truck or the driver doesn't sneak a peak! :)

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1330026491' post='1551746']
Have you tried UPS Clarky? I work for them. I will try to find out tonight (I work nights) approx shipping costs, insurance cover etc.... for you if you like? it's no bother for a fellow Basschatter.
[/quote]
Thanks fellow Clarky, the Interparcel quote was in fact using UPS

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1330026719' post='1551749']
Huh, call that a flight case!, now this IS a flight case!

I had to have it custom made for the rediculously large bass that lives in it (Adrenaline Flight cases are awesome if you're looking for one- they did not line it with the velvet though)

Here is how it turned up

I had a flightcase sent to me once covered with bin bags!

I agree with others, if you don't cover it with cardboard, then use loads of packing tape to make sure it doesn't pop open in the truck or the driver doesn't sneak a peak! :)
[/quote]
My thats a big one, missus

The consensus seems to be that putting some cardboard round, maybe using cable ties on the locks and lots of tape to stop it being opened should see it right. Cheers all!

I'm sure Wayne will be heading towards Harrogate in the near future mate

Glad you're not selling it. As a big Danko fan I'd be holding on to this and not the Baby (although IIRC he played one of those also).

BTW, the problem with talking to you by PM is that I suddenly start thinking about getting rid of instruments with which I'm quite happy to trade for something of yours about which I know absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

To be clear, Chris it's on trial ... So it may end up being sold or it may end up back in my hands. I like the untitled (brown) album by the Band but the rest doesn't really do it for me, hence I don't feel a special affinity with Danko. I just got the bass cos I thought it was cool and would fit with a retro zombie band ...and you know what happened there :(

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1330037977' post='1551989']
I had a Warwick hard case turn up in a cardboard box with the word "Fragile" all over it. Who said the Germans don't have a sense of humour?
[/quote]

I once had an American B.C.Rich handmade bass sent to me from the USA, in a cardboard box, no hard case, minimal packing inside the box, and to top it all off, the box was at least 4 inches too short, so they just cut a hole for the headstock to stick clean through the end of the box (With NO bubblewrap or anything on it)

It actually made it here unscaved!

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1330097071' post='1552737']
I once had an American B.C.Rich handmade bass sent to me from the USA, in a cardboard box, no hard case, minimal packing inside the box, and to top it all off, the box was at least 4 inches too short, so they just cut a hole for the headstock to stick clean through the end of the box (With NO bubblewrap or anything on it)

It actually made it here unscaved!
[/quote]

I bought a bass last year from a Basschatter via ebay, it arrived in just a gig bag and bubblewrap. I have to say, I was a little nervous when I opened it up but it too arrived in one piece and mint condition! On reflection, it was only 30 miles away and it probably cost as much for postage as it would have done in petrol if I'd gone and fetched it.....

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330019208' post='1551599']
OK I've partly answered my own questions by going on the Interparcel website. The size/weight don't seem to be an issue (the quote was only around £15, albeit with minimal insurance). So that box is ticked

[/quote]
I was worried about this, poked around the Interparcel website and you can increase the cover over the £50 at a cost of 3% which isn't that bad. I was looking at roughly £200 so that's another £4.50 but gives me piece of mind that whoever I send to wont be buying an acoustic jigsaw.