Why become a member? ×

Aged or not??

GregHughes

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1364263989' post='2024142']
Like you need it aged by when, precisely...?

Just wear it out, GregHughes, if it dosn't 'roadwear' so it dosn't roadwear.

I don't get it meself.... My best Jazz I've played more or less every gig for that last thirty years, I've never mollycoddled it, never cleaned it, it's had a load of rough treatment....

.... and it still isn't as messed-up as those silly looking roadworn things. I wear belts and sometimes zip-cuffed leather jackets but there isn't any 'belt rash' or that silly looking forearm-worn top bout. [b]Whoever wore out a finish with their forearm? What are you blokes made of? Sand paper?[/b]

[/quote]

I have had my Sandberg nearly 2 years and where my forearm rests has gone all shiny (matt finished bass) and starting to wear through the finish. Its awesome.

I'm waiting for the day that you can order a brand spanking new relic'd or aged bass with an ageing scale like this:

1. First minor ding ~ You've bought a brand new bass and brought it home and you turn around and gently bump it into a the door.

2. A chunk out of neck ~ You've stood your pride and joy against a wall on stage and it falls gracefully into the Hammond organ. There's only one winner here folks.

3. Headstock marks ~ Over exuberant playing and your bass hits the low ceiling down the youth club.

4. A few years road wear ~ What is says.

5. Lots of buckle rash ~ You knew you shouldn't have bought that country and western style buckle with the cow horns on it.

6. Multiple dings to body and neck ~ The thrown in the back of a Ford Transit too many time s look and used as a bench for the drummer to sit on in the back of the van on the way home.

7. Dull and worn paint ~ You thought that you'd spruce up your ageing beauty (the bass, not you) but in a drunken haze you use oven cleaner instead of polish.

8. The totally trashed look ~ You're late for a gig and forgetting your bass you call up to your seventh floor flat and you dear old Mum throws it out of the window to you. Unfortunately it slips through your hands.