Why become a member? ×

Brass Bridge vs Std Fender bridge.

KennysFord

Hey folks,
I have a good quality Brass bridge taken from an Ibanez Blazer. I've been toying with the idea of fitting it to my P Bass so does anyone know what tonal differences I should expect....if any. I noticed one fitted to a P Bass on a video posted up on here about the Ampeg PF500 amp.
It's a straight swap but the Brass item is a lot more substantial than the Fender item.
Cheers in advance.

You should definitely get some change in tone, whether you like it or not is another matter.
Being more substantial though if it is larger you may find that you can't get the saddles low enough and you have to adjust the angle of the neck, pickup height etc. This happened when I fitted a Badass to mine, so be prepared for more than just swapping the bridge over... It might be OK but its always best to go into these things prepared for the worst (rather than shouting and throwing screwdrivers everywhere when you realise the 5 minute job will take 2 hours! :) )

If you dont like the tone you get from the bridge, I'll have it as a spare for mine! Also, where's the rest of the Blazer? If it's in bits, I'll have that aswell!

Anyway, I think you should expect an increase in sustain apart from that I don't think you'll notice a difference in tone at all. I mean, a different set of strings will make more of a difference to your tone! Fit it anyway because brass bridges look wicked!

Cheers

Truckstop

Hmmmm, having replaced lots of bridges on several basses (mostly with Schaller 3Ds, sometimes with Gotoh 201s, once with a Badass), I'm still unsure as to any 'tonal' change. What you may well get is more sustain and a comfier place to rest your hand, if you're a pick player.

Like buses you lot ! :lol:
My P bass has an ashtray and I play finger style so no benefit from a comfier hand position or cosmetics. I've done a side by side view and the saddles look like they'll come down far enough so that's a plus.
I'll give it a try I think just because....well just because.
Truckstop, sorry dude but the Blazer is a keeper but I have noticed that your a fan. Mines a 1980 but it's the different model to the one in your avatar. I did have one like yours with the P pup but to be honest I preferred this one so sold the other on a couple of years back.I don't seem to have a picture of the full bass so here it is sawn in half.
Hope you likey.
[attachment=101187:blazer body resize.JPG][attachment=101188:blazerHS resize.JPG]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330363106' post='1556264']
You should only replace the bridge for cosmetic reasons. Any other differences will be imaginary. IMHO. :)
[/quote]

Although i didnt do a scientific test i've gone through 3 different bridges on my CVP and didnt notice any tonal differences between the Squier CV HB bridge (with brass saddles), a Gotoh 201 and a Fender vintage (BBOT)
I did notice a slightly brighter tone when i put a BAII on my old HW-1 Jazz. Maybe the thin finish helped with this.