Why become a member? ×

5-string basses - how useful is the 5th string? POLL time, yay!

Clarky

I've pretty much only played 5-string basses, since I went back to bass in 1989/90. During the 90s I only owned 3 basses - two of them were 5-strings and the other one was the short-scale 4-string that was my first bass.

How useful the 5th string is depends on what I'm playing. Right now only 1 of the songs I play with the Terrortones, and 2 from my covers band use the low B. However just over a year ago over half the Terrortones songs required notes lower than E.

Personally I'm now well used to the width and string arrangement of the 5-string and now find it much more familiar and comfortable than your typical 4-string bass. Even though at the moment I don't use the lower notes much, they are there should I need them.

One thing I have found is that IMO you need to spend at least £1000 (new) to get a 5-string bass that is sufficiently good enough to make a meaningful comparison with the average 4-stringer.

Other than general interest, part of the reason underlying my OP was that I am "time poor" due to work, family etc and to become truly familiar with my 5-stringer will require quite a bit of practice and neglecting my 4 stringers ... so I was wondering if this is a worthwhile exercise or whether I should just stick with the familiarity of my 4 stringers

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330334325' post='1555673']
One thing I have found is that IMO you need to spend at least £1000 (new) to get a 5-string bass that is sufficiently good enough to make a meaningful comparison with the average 4-stringer.
[/quote]

Therein lies my problem.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330334640' post='1555678']
Other than general interest, part of the reason underlying my OP was that I am "time poor" due to work, family etc and to become truly familiar with my 5-stringer will require quite a bit of practice and neglecting my 4 stringers ... so I was wondering if this is a worthwhile exercise or whether I should just stick with the familiarity of my 4 stringers
[/quote]

It's a long, long time since I made the switch to 5-string basses, but I can't remember having much of a problem adjusting.

However:
1. I had spent most of the 80s playing synths rather than bass.
2. My previous bass had been a short-scale 4-stringer that didn't really sound very good on any notes lower than open A.
3. Shortly after making the switch to 5-strings I bought my Overwater Original 5-string which as you know is a serious piece of kit.

My approach to 5-strings has very much been to ignore the lowest string until I need notes lower than E. That will no doubt bring down the wrath of the technique police, but it works for me.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1330326440' post='1555605']
....a Lakland DJ5 or Stingray 5 are causing GAS at the moment, the trouble is I need to do a few more shows a year to pay for one!...
[/quote]

I've seen 2 players in shows whose sound impressed me, they were both using Status basses.

I've owned two in the last 18 months but just don't really like them, mainly because I think the notes below low E sound pretty crap. I've thought this about pretty much every five string bass I've heard, regardless of how expensive it is.

If I need to go below low E I'd rather use a synth - I'd buy another Chapman Stick before I'd consider buying a five string bass again as I think they sound much better than a bass for the low notes.

Even though I play a 5 most of the time I do actually prefer a 4. The benefit for me is to be able to cover the low notes on a piano/organ which most of the keys players I have worked with don't like touching very much.

If you get hold of a good quality 5 string bass with a tight and musical low B tone you're made, but out of the numerous amount of 5 string basses I have ever owned I have only had two instruments that fall into that category...my old MTD 535 and my Lakland 55-02. It is very difficult to find a fiver that doesn't mud up on the low B and balances well with the other strings.

A few people have talked about the low B string sounding poor in comparison to the other strings. Could this be due to the reduced ability of cabinets to reproduce these frequencies, or is there an inherent problem in the design of the basses themselves that makes the lowest string the weakest link? Surely the diameter/gauge of the low B string also becomes an issue, particularly with intonation?

Or is it just that our ears have become habituated to hearing notes in the "normal" E - G range and struggle with the lower notes?

I find this fascinating!

One thing I don't agree with, and that's that you HAVE to spend this or that amount of money to get a decent 5et. Or 4er, come to that. If you have a good, transparent amp, your bass, almost whatever it is, will sound like you. Of course, if you is not what you're after...
Classic example, though not on bass, is Carlos Santana. He has never sounded other than like himself and his rigs have changed radically over the years. My sound, such as it is, has changed little, no matter what I play.

My old MTD 535 - £2900
My old Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 Custom - £3450
My Lakland 55-02 - £1300

Huge difference in the prices and I have to say the low B is better in tone and balance on the Lakland than the other basses through an amp or direct into a desk. Dunno why, but it just is.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1330350953' post='1555996']
I've owned two in the last 18 months but just don't really like them, mainly because I think the notes below low E sound pretty crap. I've thought this about pretty much every five string bass I've heard, regardless of how expensive it is.

If I need to go below low E I'd rather use a synth - I'd buy another Chapman Stick before I'd consider buying a five string bass again as I think they sound much better than a bass for the low notes.
[/quote]

I ALWAYS say that the B defines a 5 st..and it is NOT a given that any model range will work and certainly not big production lines, IMO. You have to seek out that bass and try it.and you also have to keep the strings fresh.
This takes maintenance if only for the string change.
But if you have year old strings on a 5, then no... your B string will most likely stink regardless of how good your bass resonates normally, IMO.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330334640' post='1555678']
[/quote]

I think it depends how you play as to how long the 'change' will take.
If you were just concerned with fretting in the right place and the left hand needed to get comfortable with the string spacing ..and the right hand plucking..then there isn't a whole lot of difference or hardship to have to contend with.
If you have advanced techniques that are all about speed and precision, then you'll need to groove that in to be second nature. That will take you a LOT of time, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1330366284' post='1556322']
I think it depends how you play as to how long the 'change' will take.
If you were just concerned with fretting in the right place and the left hand needed to get comfortable with the string spacing ..and the right hand plucking..then there isn't a whole lot of difference or hardship to have to contend with.
If you have advanced techniques that are all about speed and precision, then you'll need to groove that in to be second nature. That will take you a LOT of time, IMO.
[/quote]
I am basically pretty rudimentary (straight ahead rock, bar my sidetracking with my old band to double bass blues territory) so the first part of your reply applies here!

I had a quick noodle on a six string the other day. The string spacing completely foxed me.

However, the whole experience wasn't helped by the fact our guitarist had got hold of it and tuned it to standard guitar tuning. That's right that bottom B was tuned to a standard E. The upshot being the strings were so tight as to make it near unplayable.

I shall not be getting one, neither would I get a 5.

The poll is interesting but I feel its mostly a reflection of the views of 5-string owners who are more inclined to recommend 5'ers. Were this to be opened up to the whole BC community (many of whom will have found the OP title off-putting/dull I suspect!) I suspect the bottom option might well be in an unassailable lead!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1330328877' post='1555620']
On a four you've got a bit of a shift to go from C on the E string down to G on the E string, but on a fiver it's all in one position.
[/quote]

I need the exercise. ;)

Edit: In any case, what are you doing playing beyond the fifth fret? :o

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330370045' post='1556401']
I need the exercise. ;)

Edit: In any case, what are you doing playing beyond the fifth fret? :o
[/quote]

Well quite! Especially as if one is feeling lazy and doesn't need the exercise there is a perfectly serviceable C on the 3rd fret of the A string, conveniently positioned under the G on the E string. No need for any of this fancy 'up the dusty end' playing needed there. :)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330369254' post='1556387']
The poll is interesting but I feel its mostly a reflection of the views of 5-string owners who are more inclined to recommend 5'ers. Were this to be opened up to the whole BC community (many of whom will have found the OP title off-putting/dull I suspect!) I suspect the bottom option might well be in an unassailable lead!
[/quote]

To be honest Clarky we recommend them [i]because [/i]we use them, if you get my drift. I've actually just sold my last 5 and have a 4 and 2 6ers now. I can't imagine doing a gig without the low b as I use the extra low notes quite a lot

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1330371588' post='1556437']
To be honest Clarky we recommend them [i]because [/i]we use them, if you get my drift.
[/quote]
Fair comment John. I appreciate the answers everyone has given but its just I feel I am taking advice from those most inclined to err on the 5 side. If I had set up the poll as "4 or 5 string?" there would undoubtedly have been a much more mixed response with plenty pointing out that the greatest bass lines in history were almost all on 4 stringers.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1330371574' post='1556436']
Well quite! Especially as if one is feeling lazy and doesn't need the exercise there is a perfectly serviceable C on the 3rd fret of the A string, conveniently positioned under the G on the E string. No need for any of this fancy 'up the dusty end' playing needed there. :)
[/quote]

Just made an otherwise rubbish day into a mutley laughing one!