Why become a member? ×

What would you do? Opinions please......

TRBboy

Hey everybody!

Now that I'm finally satisfied with my basses, my gaze has shifted to effects.

I'm currently just using my MXR M80. I set the clean channel as a clean boost for slap parts, and set the overdrive for the few songs that require it. I've also got a Boss ODB3 and an EHX Mini Q-Tron knocking about, and I've been itching to get a compressor for a while.

I'm thinking of leaving the clean as a clean boost, set the overdrive channel as my "normal" sound with just a bit of grit added (bend and gain low). I'll then use the ODB3 as my full-on overdrive. I would add a compressor, and also the Mini Q-Tron (even though I've only used it a couple of times in the last 15 years!). With this option, I would have to buy a comp, pedal board and power supplies.

The other option is to sell the pedals I've got and just buy a Zoom B3, but is it really good enough? It would be a good option because money's tight, and it would be a much easier/tidier setup.

So what would you do?

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1330461102' post='1557968']
Judging by the reviews and clips I've checked out so far the B3 looks great! I can't afford one at the moment so I guess im gonna wait and see if a second hand one comes up for sale in the next couple of months... But it's definitely worth checking out for the price it is!
[/quote]

Yeah that's what I've been thinking........ plus the fact you can loop stuff, it's a DI, comes with software to record, etc, etc......

And I could save/make some money!

Edited by TRBboy

I personally prefer the Phat Phuk B over any other overdrive/distortion for bass. If
you like the sound, you could save some space by dropping the M80 and putting that in.. ;)

I personally don't believe in Multi-Efx, and think that everything from Line 6 and Zoom doesn't
sound good unless you're going for a digital sound. However, the Zoom has tons of different
pedal emulations, and if you're starting out then you'll probably only want "real" versions of the
effects you use most often and have a certain preference for. So for example, you could use
a Copilot FX Orbit for your fuzz, a Memory Man for delay, a tuner, and the Zoom for everything else.

Edited by lxxwj

Yeah, well I've already got the MXR M80 and the ODB3 and I'm happy with what they do, I just want to add a compressor.

They trouble is, do I buy a Comp, a pedal board, PSUs, etc, or do I just sell what I've got and buy a B3 to simplify and save some dosh?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1330463850' post='1558016']
Yeah, well I've already got the MXR M80 and the ODB3 and I'm happy with what they do, I just want to add a compressor.

They trouble is, do I buy a Comp, a pedal board, PSUs, etc, or do I just sell what I've got and buy a B3 to simplify and save some dosh?
[/quote]
Go ahead and sell what you've got, except (maybe) the Mini Q-tron if you really like it. Then, get a B3, and then later you
can add some more specialized pedals on a board.

Filter models on the B3 are meant to be pretty nice. To be honest, I think the B3 sounds absolutely perfect for your needs, you're definitely the kind of player they must have had in mind when creating it. I would gladly get one myself but I know that there's a few things I wouldn't be able to do with it that I would like to.