Why become a member? ×

What effect am I after?

GregHughes

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but I'm looking for a certain sound and not sure what effects I need to produce it.

The sound is a very slightly distorted bass jazz sound as played on this track.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FA66Z2/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk9"]Joni Mitchell - The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines (LP Version)[/url]

Just love that dirty jazz bass sound and would love to be able to get that tone at home.

That's a very warm barely overdriven sound, probably just coming from the amp rather than using an effect, There's plenty of options out there but you can definitely get that sound from a Catalinbread SFT:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VjBTsx4gg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VjBTsx4gg[/url]

Genz Benz Streamliner, TC Electronic RH450 / Classic 450 or Ampeg Micro VR / PF350 if you want a small lightweight head. These aren't full tube amps but are close enough in sound.

Vintage or reissue Ampeg B15 if you can find one, afford one, and don't need to be loud!

What amp do you have now? The pedal solution might be the easiest way to get there.

Thanks Danny, I'm using a small fender amp at the moment which has lots of built in effects which was good a starter amp but looking to move on now I've got a good idea of the tones I want.

I don't gig at the moment, just play at home so don't need a lot of volume but probably will get to gigging in the next few years. The Ampeg B15 look great don't think I want to spend that much. The micro looks more in my budget so I'll try and get a play on one of them and the others you mentioned locally so I can try for myself.

I'm also going to look out for a Catalinbread SFT as that sounds ideal too although see they are not that easy to get hold of.

The Fender Rumble 150W combo is your friend. :D
That sounds like a fretless (as stated before). Maybe a spot of fuzz? The SFT might work nice also
to simulate the buzz of a fretless by distorting the note right as it's played rather than sustaining it like most
distortions.
Remember, there's always ebay and amazon to order things from!

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1330605763' post='1560155']
Didn't Jaco use Acoustic amps? And weren't they solid state?
[/quote]

My mistake....yes they were. There might be a hint of the amps built in 'fuzztone' being
used,but not much.

I don't mean to Pee on the SFT, as I'm sure it's a very good pedal, but that video does zilch for it. If you listen to the Ampeg & then click near the end & listen to the SFT/TE, they sound about as similar as Motown to Mark King! & I'm deaf & can hear that. You could probably get that sound that the SFT is doing by fiddling with the EQ on the TE & rolling off some top end (Maybe leaving something near the 3khz up to give that "click" that the Ampeg has).

I don't know :unsure: