Why become a member? ×

Getting a real handle on diminished

Mike

Hi all!

I've realised that my use of the diminished scale is confined to arpeggio-based patterns and a few stolen licks. I want to internalise it a bit more. Any tips for ways to practice it?

I'm doing work over dominant7 chords and I'm aware of the chords and opportunities that welcome the two main diminished scales but some more guidance would be great!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Mike

I know I must be getting a lil' bit tiring on this, but are you [i]really[/i] familiar with the diminished chord both vertically and horizontally?

If so, a cool idea is to practice some chromatic approaches (like single/above approach) to the chord tones and writing out some minor II V I lines, and organize the line so that you connect the chord tones as follows: starting with m7b5,connect it's 7th degree
with 3rd of diminshed and the the b9 (the root of diminished) with the 5 of the I chord (minor-Major7) - scales may also be freely included into the lines, but you wanna end up connecting the chord using mentioned chord-tones - you may come up with some cool stuff, bro!

The idea behind this, is that, in my opinion, writing out lines (and, not doing it on bass, but, on piano, for instance) is one of the best ways to get out off licks and patterns that you're used to.

easy
L

Edited by Faithless