Why become a member? ×

Hoffner bass build video

daz

Cant stand the look of them personally. But this is an interesting start to finish 16 minute video of the Hoffner 'Beatles' bass being built.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCOycca1ezo&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Edited by daz

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1330590652' post='1559732']
Very interesting video. A lot of hand crafting going on there, particularly with the neck. Probably the vintage range I guess rather than the regular CT production line?
[/quote]

That video was made some years ago. It shows the current-ish production of hand-made basses in Germany using the original jigs.

The CT and other cheap, licensed versions are made in the Far East, and a video of them being built would look ... erm ... different. ;)

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1330680443' post='1561333']
Brilliant. There are some fine instrument building traditions in the far east too btw.
[/quote]

Indeed there are. We forget that because labour is so cheap out there, it costs much less to have a part handmade than it does to buy and jig a machine to do it.[b][size=5]* [/size][/b][size=5][size=4]Just because labour is cheap does not automatically mean it is shoddy.[/size][/size]

[size=5][b]*[/b][/size]In an un related note, and on the subject of cheap manpower. I remember once seeing one of those shows where they buy an old banger car and do it up and sell it. This one episode goes to India and in one scene they were stripping the paint off the roof of the banger. Instead of using an airline and sander attachment, or a cheap elctric grinder, he had 6 lads with old stanley knife blades working away at it, while he stood to the side and lambasted them. As if were an everyday occurance, which i am sure it was :lol:

Edited by daz

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1330868854' post='1564016']
Sorry Daz, I missed this - but what a brilliant video, some great insight there! Did I miss something, or did they handcut the frets without a guide? :blink:
[/quote]

Thats exactly what i was thinking ? surely there must have been at least a pencil line or something ?!