Why become a member? ×

Pretty Happy (the end of GAS)

LukeFRC

So I'm pretty happy.
The last year and a half I went on a bit of a buying and selling binge, trying lots of things. Loving the jazz's sound, but less so when playing with other, trying loads, owning a lot and well it's been fun.
I've always had the JV P bass as my standard, it's lovely and then the Streamer which I toyed with selling so so many times.
But every so often I would go back to it and pick it up and go, wow this is a really nice bass. It's well made, and feels it, got a super fast thin neck, that's thin all the way down it. It's very light weight, looks great (all organic and woody like the old handmade warwicks are) and sounds good unplugged.
But plugged in something didn't fit. There was a funny bump in the high mids which it took a while to get used to but eventually didn't mind. And the attack was so so aggressive- sitting peddling quavers on the root.... well didn't work that well.
So ages spent buying and selling things to try out.

And then I stuck a set of barts in it.... and it's amazing. The P is fatter and warmer now, the Jazz pup isn't as great but still sounds good and it's just so much more responsive with more tonal variation.
I'm happy.

And my GAS is gone. My rig is brilliant- I couldn't upgrade it. By P is irreplaceable and the Warwick is now the number one bass and sounds great.

So it doesn't look like much more GAS for me. A refret some time in the future, and also I stuck a Glockenklang preamp in there and would like to put something else in there (ACG 01eq would be the ideal I think) but apart from that... :)

also means I can save up for a ring for a lady..... so some things not mentioned here may come up for sale soon. sssshhhh

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1330592930' post='1559768']
BUT.... BUT.... You're not happy with the bridge pickup though. That needs fixing you know! What about when you really NEED that awesome bridge pickup sound eh?

Nah, you'll be back ;)
[/quote]

+1.

There is no such thing as an "end to GAS" - it's a fallacy invented in the depths of euphoria, and often after a new purchase when you're justifying it to your wife/creditors/inner monologue.

We look forward to see you again ;)

my GAS keeps coming up through my mouth " I want....I want....I need..." so I get, generally without justice.

when I wish it would go the other way. At least then I could justify talking out of my a*** when I say, " I want....I want.....I need..."

I don't half talk some sh*** sometimes, dont I ?

Hahaha, I doubt I'll go anywhere... like I said a different preamp would be good. Trying preamps is more expensive than trying basses though as the resale value is lower.
I tried having more than two basses, it doesn't work for me- except when I had the Cimar Jazz that could just lie about the room and was so fun to play.
Given the P and the Streamer are brilliant I would have to go a long long way to better them... so why try? Maybe in 10 years I will go out and buy a custom or something, maybe not. :)

Luke