Why become a member? ×

modding an Xotic RC Bass Booster for a bit more gain?

gillento

I have tried different drive and boost pedals (Fulltone Bassdrive, Xotic BB & RC, Darkglass B3K, ....) and came to the conclusion that I like the RC Bass Boost best.

My main sound is the VT by Tech21 with a slight drive.
When I want to kick in a bit of additional drive, I am using the RC pedal with bass and treble at 12 o clock (neutral) and the Drive is dimed. It stays rather clean and I would like to have a bit more drive. (I like the sound when I am using an additional booster before the RC, but I don't really want to use 2 pedals for 1 gain stage. )

So, Is there a way of modding the RC to give just a bit more internal gain?

Edited by gillento

• 7 months later...

Hey, i have the fulltone bassdrive (mosfet) and i find the exact same thing, i like it best when i have my clean boost on before it.
Its frustrating having to double stomp, i was wondering whether to try and find someone who could mod my fulldrive or put the guts of my cleanboost inside the bassdrive or something?!? Ha ha
Now I'm on the look out for a bass rc boost, but i was thinking of having it as an always on pedal.. That way i guess my bassdrive will sound mega because its got that rc booster feeding the signal, in the same way my clean boost does now.
Did you make any progess with yours??
Cheers

Have you tried turning the gain, bass & treble knobs up & the volume down? Turning both of the "tone" knobs up would effectively be increasing the overall gain.

If you have the schematic for the pedal, find what resistors are used in the gain stage & then get one with a higher value (probably by replacing the 47k with something higher?).

[quote name='Marsy' timestamp='1351270218' post='1849575']
Hmmm.. There are no gain, bass or treble knobs on either the bassdrive or my cleanboost??
[/quote]

Sorry Marsy, I was referring to the RC boost. However, changing a resistor might be an option if you're looking for more gain.

Marsy - The Bassdrive is a pretty simple circuit, but an expensive pedal, and modding it would likely hammer you on the re-sale value. If that doesn't bother you I'll happily implement those mods for you, alternatively I can point you in the direction of how to do it yourself, or build it for you from the ground up. Shoot me a PM if any of that interests you!

Gillento - The RC is another relatively simple circuit you could easily mod, but again you'll get burned on the re-sale value if you do so.

I'd probably say the best solution to both would be to stick boost and drive in a loop pedal and use that as a master switch for both pedals :)

I too have only just noticed the original post date after having written all this. Ha!

Hey, that's helpful mate yeah, I appreciate that pedals would lose value (the sonic boom clean boost wasn't cheap either).
When you say build one from the ground do you mean rehouse my pedals, or build a bassdrive clone with a boost in it?
I was considering using the bass rc as an always on pedal and I'm sure that would work, only may be a bit extravigant to have always on?? I dunno.
The other thing that I was thinking of going for was an xotic x blender, and blending the bass driver into my clean tone (allowing me to put on both pedals simultaneously and also blend the wet and dry signals).
Thanks for your help mate!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1351273753' post='1849638']

Gillento - The RC is another relatively simple circuit you could easily mod, but again you'll get burned on the re-sale value if you do so.

[/quote]

The actual circuit is covered in some kind of goo on the Xotic pedals. So it is rather difficult to find the right parts on the board.

Anyway, a tech friend of mine modded my pedal. He added a resistor (no idea which one) and made it switchable.
So I can have the original circuit and the higher gain circuit as well.