Why become a member? ×

Hi, new member needs some advice

Pinball

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to bass playing. I'm enjoying playing and writing my own stuff after a 30 year break and am venturing into recording my own material. I needed to add bass lines to my stuff so have stretched my already stretched budget a little further and bought what I believe to be a Peavey zephyr, 4 string, bolt on neck and passive PUP's. To my "new" ears it sounds pretty good. The pickups seem to give a good sound range and it feels good to play. I don't have an amp but it should be fine for recording. :D

It was previously owned by another lead player so has sat in the corner for years unplayed. I was thinking I should treat it to a new set of strings. Like I said I'm on a tight budget so was looking on ebay and got confused as I know nowt!

Can anyone one advise me on a decent set of all rounders for a new player? B)

A setup is probably going to be a bigger deal that the strings themselves, although they are a necessary part. Problem with cheap strings is mostly inconsistency, and sometimes you get dead ones. Hard to go wrong with Daddario ones. But there are less well known cheap but good sorts that are pretty much a taste call. Best thing to do is say where you are, or check the recommended luthiers thread an get it gone over by a capable BCer or a tech who can sort it with appropriate strings.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Thanks Mr F,
I'm in the UK and have been looking on Amazon. They have some reasonably priced strings on offer, with user ratings.
I was confused about sizes for a 4 string so will plumb for something around the 45-105 range. The set up seems Ok to me so as it is a cheap bass I'll leave it as is for now. It plays well an and the sound is good across the whole fret board.
Apologies for the stupid quiestion but I have no idea when it comes to basses. I'm enjoying messing around with it though.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1330719556' post='1562270']
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to bass playing. I'm enjoying playing and writing my own stuff after a 30 year break and am venturing into recording my own material. I needed to add bass lines to my stuff so have stretched my already stretched budget a little further and bought what I believe to be a Peavey zephyr, 4 string, bolt on neck and passive PUP's. To my "new" ears it sounds pretty good. The pickups seem to give a good sound range and it feels good to play. I don't have an amp but it should be fine for recording. :D

It was previously owned by another lead player so has sat in the corner for years unplayed. I was thinking I should treat it to a new set of strings. Like I said I'm on a tight budget so was looking on ebay and got confused as I know nowt!

Can anyone one advise me on a decent set of all rounders for a new player? B)
[/quote]

Just looked up your bass in a search and the indications are that it's a 35" long scale bass, with 2 adjusters either side of the headstock.

You may need a set of extra-long strings. So it'll be worthwhile contacting stringbusters.co.uk or stringsdirect.co.uk to check what might be suitable.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

As anyone here can tell you, finding a good set of bass strings can well be an expensive buisiness. Some people never stop looking. Trying to chase down[i] that [/i]sound! :)

Status bass strings are not expensive though, so you might as well start there. They are made in the UK 'in house', not just some rebadged cheapos bought in bulk from the far east, with a big mark up.

Try the link here: [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html"]Status strings[/url] Follow the links on the left to Online shop/Bass Strings/

Price is maybe £18 for the average set of [i]flats[/i] or [i]round wounds [/i]for a four string bass. Make sure you order the correct length though.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1330779206' post='1562847']
As anyone here can tekll you, finding a good set of bass strings can well be an expensive buisiness.

Status strings are not expensive though, so you m,ight as well start there. try the link here: [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html"]Status strings[/url] Follow the links on the left to Online shop/Bass Strings/

Maybe £18 for the average set of [i]flats[/i] or [i]round wounds [/i]for a four string bass. Make sure you order the correct length though.
[/quote]

Absolutely, great strings, great prices, fantastic service.

Thanks, lots of helpful stuff there.

The length of the bass scale isn't something that had occurred to me. I got my tape measure out and then realized I wasn't sure where to stop measuring. I imagine the "scale" is the active part of the string from where it rolls over the bridge to the top nut-is that correct? If so it looks like 34.5".

The Status site is amazing. I love the look of their their basses.

Ed