Why become a member? ×

Speak no evil

lobematt

Yo!

I've been looking at Speak No Evil and I'm a bit stuck on the last few bars of the A section.

Firstly the 2 bars that go E-11 A+7 | D-11 G+7| Would I be right in thinking I could play D major then C major?

And then A+7|Bb-7|A+7|Bb-7| I'm thinking some sort of Locrian type scale but I'm a bit stumped really, any ideas??

Cheers!

The Em11 and A+7 are II, V in D, the E sharp (F) in the A augmented would suggest D minor, but the Em11 is D major, so you could add a bit of interest by swinging between those two scales, same with the Dm11 and Gaug7 - either C major or C minor. Ultimately it's down to your ears, but yes, D and C are good places to start with those particular chords.

As for the Aaug7 and Bbm7 you could look for common chord tones -

A+7 being A, C sharp, F and G
Bb-7 being Bb, D flat F and Ab

Since Db and C sharp are the same note, and the Fs are the same then you could use those as pivot points in between the chromatic movement.
Or you could indeed go for a modal approach.

Hope this helps, 'Speak No Evil' isn't a tune that I'm overly familiar with, so this is all just theoretical. Let me know how you get on...

[url="http://www.scribd.com/doc/39616458/Shorter-Analysis"]http://www.scribd.com/doc/39616458/Shorter-Analysis[/url]

Maybe obscuring the wood for the trees, and I'm just off to work so no time to read it all the way through, but looks like it could be interesting?