Why become a member? ×

Dunlop nickel bass strings first impressions/mini review

Gwilym

I bought a couple of sets of Dunlop 40-120 nickel strings last week, and strung them up on my MTD (35" scale and they fit no problem) and Sadowsky (34" scale). Both basses were previously strung with Galli nickels and DR Lorider nickels respectively, and I've had Loriders on the MTD too.

Initial impressions are very good. To my ears, there is a stronger mid range emphasis/presence (good!) to them then either the Galli strings and the DR's, without any harsh treble-iness. I've a feeling that there's slightly less bass extention compared to the DRs, but the effect is that the B comes out sounding just a bit more balanced tone-wise with the E string.

B string clarity on both sets were consistent (and excellent), and was better than the Galli's and equivalent to the DR's which I've found to always yield a very solid B. None of the strings are tapered at the bridge end.

They feel slighly more rough to the touch than the DRs and about the same as the Gallis, and I think there's some kind of residue on the strings that's put on there to keep them fresh in the packet, because they initially feel a little bit sticky? Maybe my imagination, and I'm sure that will go away as I play them a bit more.

The blurb on the packet mentions them being "low tension", but they don't feel particularly low tension, and I've gone to a lighter gauge than I usually use (i.e. from 45-125 to 40-120). They are less stiff than the Loriders and Gallis, but I'd attribute that more to the lighter 40 gauge set. My main concern was that they would be too slack, but they feel perfect to/for me.

I guess I liked them enough to have just bought another couple of sets. If the prices remain reasonable, and if they last a decent amount of time I'll keep on buying them I think!

• 8 months later...

This review was the decider for me to try out the dunlops to (in the same gauge). I bought a couple of sets for £16 each off eBay which seems pretty cheap as normally they go for about (correct me if I'm wrong) £23/£25 for 5 string sets. Looking forward to trying these out!

What is the life on these? I've only used legacy nickels so far and they are good but are needing changing every 2 months or so.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1352740633' post='1866834']
This review was the decider for me to try out the dunlops to (in the same gauge). I bought a couple of sets for £16 each off eBay which seems pretty cheap as normally they go for about (correct me if I'm wrong) £23/£25 for 5 string sets. Looking forward to trying these out!

What is the life on these? I've only used legacy nickels so far and they are good but are needing changing every 2 months or so.
[/quote]

sounds like you got a good price there - I've found that I'm still using the same sets as I strung on my basses about 9months ago. The bass that has seen regular use sounds fine to me still, I've no intention of replacing them anytime soon. Bear in mind that i don't have particularly sweaty hands or toxic sweat :D

• 6 months later...