Why become a member? ×

New member, old bassist.

Bassdriver

Hi all. I'm a long time bass player of some 27 years fro mthe north of England. I have a Marleux Custom 5 string which I've had for about 10 years and have just bought a Lakland Skyline 55/60 which I'm really enjoying. However, the Marleux is definitely not for sale. I like it too much.

Amp wise I have an EA iAmp800 which goes through a CXL112E and a CXL110E, although the 110 has mysteriously stopped working and is awaiting collection by a local electronics guru for further investigation. I've had that rig for a few years too and have just bought an Ashdown EB180 1x12 combo with a 1x15 extension cab for a bargain price to use as a 'practice amp'. I have just joined a second band and wanted to avoid moving too much gear around. Lazy? Me? No, I just find myself without any foour wheeled transport of my own and it was easier to just buy another amp. That was why I got the Lakland as well. Funny how things can escalate when you start looking at buying gear and realise you have a bit of cash to spare. Now I'm thinking I need at least one Vanderkley cab... Hmmmmmmm :-)

Anyway I arrived here as a result of my search to find an effects pedal that might give more of a vintage valve tone through the EA amp. The amp sounds great as it is but is sometimes a little clean, modern and hi-fi like when something dirtier is called for. If I hadn't bought all the other gear and still had my eye on a Vanderkley I might have gone for some kind of Ampeg valve head but as it is I've spent far too much as it is so will be trawling the for sale section in here regularly for something suitable. Any suggestions would be appreciated though as I'm not that well up on pedals and so on. I'm considering a Microtubes B3K Bass Overdrive, EWS Tri-Logic Bass preamp or maybe a Sansamp Bass Driver, somethin along those lines[b].[/b]

Glad to meet you :-)

Edited by Bassdriver

Welcome Bassdriver! Your name makes me think of suggesting you the Sansamp pedal of the same name ;) But actually it's a very modern sort of tone. You should try out the VT Bass instead :) It's pretty much an Ampeg sim sort of thing. Very good for vintage tones, and is also capable of some pretty extreme overdriven tones if you want them too!

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome :-)

@Chrismuzz Thanks. Funny you should mention that. I have just got a VT on Ebay, £102 delivered inc power supply. I'd been looking at the Bass Driver and had it on my list but the VT came up first so we'll see how I get on with that. From demos I've seen on YouTube it'll do everything I want it to but I'm keeping my eyes open for a Microtubes B3K to try as well.
Looks like fun. I don't need out and out filth, just a bit of valvey warmth with a little crunch at the edges. The VT seems to do that pretty well.

Ha ha, I'm not usually too bad as far as GAS goes. Until recently I hadn't bought any gear fro 10 years or so. My Marleux and EA gear had great sound and any other tone required I could find in my fingers. Then I went and bought a Lakland and a small ish Ashdown rig for practical logistical reasons. Then my CXL110 stopped working so I thought maybe it's time to look at getting some new speakers and am looking at £1200 worth of Vanderkley. Oh and maybe gettinga custom all valve amp hand built by a guy I just met. Is GAS contageous or is it more like a psychiatric illness that can appear from nowhere. Whatever, I seem to have caught something.

As for the time aspect, well I spend far too much time on the laptop as it is so a bit more won't do any harm :-)

Glad I finally made it here. It's good to be in touch with other players.