Why become a member? ×

NBD - Geddy's in the house!

Conan

Took delivery of my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass yesterday. I am now at least the third Basschatter to own this particular instrument - I bought it from stu_g who apparently got it from the appropriately named Geddys nose!

First impressions? Great colour. Black. The only colour for a Ged IMO! Neck is lovely but SO different to my no-name "Fecker Jizz Bass", which feels decidedly bassball bat-like in comparison. Not that I don't like that, but it is just VERY different to the GL neck. The lacquering is just right too - I don't like too much or too little, and this is just what baby bear would have asked for.

Quick play through my Ashdown perfect ten combo. Nice. As good as I was hoping? Not quite :( . However, there could be a number of reasons for this, so a few things to investigate. Very playable though. Nice action. Strings a bit on the light side for me. Strangely though, although the pickup volume pots appear to be doing their job, the tone one seems to have minimal effect!! :blink:

Give it a quick once-over. Remove the old strings (whatever they are), clean the gunk off the machine heads, remove the bell plate and pickguard just to check all is well. Clean down body with an E cloth.... Replace battery*

Re-attach bell plate but decide that I like it better with the PG off! Very "Stealth" :ph34r:

Install brand new Newtone Diamond 46-105 strings. Nice. Clang-tastic in acoustic mode. Intonation slightly out now. Typically I can't find the allen key required to do the job. :angry:

Plug back into the Ashdown. Better, but still not sounding quite as good as my "Fecker". This is quite disconcerting as this Chinese no-name J copy cost me £100!! :o Maybe it's down to familiarity though? Or maybe the Wizard Hammers?! B)

More (including pics) to follow...

*The bass has replacement active EMG pickups.

Edited by Conan

Didn't get a chance to do the pics last night as I was rehearsing. And there is a story to tell about that too!

As I said, I find the tone a bit "polite" with the EMGs. I took the Geddy to last night's rehearsal, which is in the guitarist's house, up in the converted attic which is now his studio/music room. Electronic drum kit and backline courtesy of small combos.

Most of the time with this band I use either the Cort five string or (by preference) my "Fecker" Jazz with Wizard Hammer pickups. I like a tone that is "raunchy/growly/aggressive/etc". Up till now I had been really pleased with my tone and thought it fitted well with the overall band sound.

Last night, as I said, I used the Geddy. The band (or at least the two guitarists) were very impressed with the look and the fact that it was a "proper" Fender. They are easily impressed! :D

I struggled to hear myself as the sound is a bit "scooped" with the EMGs. Three songs in though, the ENTIRE band - even the singer - commented on the bass tone. "That is great, it's just the sound of the band!" they enthused. "It is so smooth and clear" they continued... I've never really been complimented on my tone before so this came as some surprise!

Anyway, I now find myself with a bit of a dilemma. I had decided to whip out the EMGs and put the Hammers into the Geddy. Now I am not so sure!

If you were in a similar position, would you selfishly pursue your own quest for personal tone nirvana; or go along with what appears to work best in a band situation?

This also kind of ties in with another thread about the difference between "cutting though" abd "sitting in" a mix.

Oh, hopefully I'll get the piucs up this evening! :blush:

Edited by Conan

Over the years I have often been complimented on how much my tone has improved when I've brought a new bass to a gig or practice, however, I once replaced the body of a black bass I had with a sunburst one, transferring all the hardware, neck, screws, even the scratchplate from the 'other' bass - the only thing that was different was the body which was just a cheap MIM sunburst found on eBay, to replace a battered MIM black body that it had before (now gone to a good home). The difference was purely aesthetic, yet everyone in the band said "oh that bass sounds so much better than your old one". Sometimes people listen with their eyes.
Try the swap, see if anyone notices ;-) if you don't like it you can swap back!

That sounds like a lot of work just to (possibly) prove a rather childish point...! :D

The thing is that the comments they made echoed my own thoughts - but what I had seen as disadvantages they saw as advantages! :blink:

Maybe we get too hung up on our own sound and we forget to think about whether it "works" in a band context. That's the main reason I stopped using the five string with this band.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1331124793' post='1567997']
I struggled to hear myself as the sound is a bit "scooped" with the EMGs. Three songs in though, the ENTIRE band - even the singer - commented on the bass tone. "That is great, it's just the sound of the band!" they enthused. "It is so smooth and clear" they continued... I've never really been complimented on my tone before so this came as some surprise!

Anyway, I now find myself with a bit of a dilemma. I had decided to whip out the EMGs and put the Hammers into the Geddy. Now I am not so sure!

If you were in a similar position, would you selfishly pursue your own quest for personal tone nirvana; or go along with what appears to work best in a band situation?

This also kind of ties in with another thread about the difference between "cutting though" abd "sitting in" a mix.
[/quote]

I personally like a very bass heavy tone, but since buying my GK MB500 and Schroeder set-up, the band has sounded sooo much more together, so think the "whats best for the band" is the way forward. I was using my MXR M80 the other night, and loved the sound, really deep yet tight, and authorative, but, just to hear the difference, switched it off, and suddenly, from hearing a huge bottom end, I heard a whole band.

Overall, it`s what you put out to the punters that ultimately matters. I far prefer a thuddy Ampeg tone, yet am now using a Duff McKagan like sound, as it works better in my band.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1331140730' post='1568391']I don't think its a childish point though, if they don't notice any difference and you're happier with your sound then everyone is happy.
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't mean that you were being childish... but that[b][i] I[/i][/b] would be being childish to take two basses to bits just to try to trick a bunch of non-bassists!! ;)

Much easier to swap the pickups over (put the wizards in the Geddy) without telling anyone and see what the reaction is... Hmmm, that might bean idea actually! :D

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1331144970' post='1568483']Overall, it`s what you put out to the punters that ultimately matters... it works better in my band.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I think too. Fortunately I'm in a band where everyone has enough maturity and insight to listen to each other and [b][i]themselves[/i][/b]. The total is more than the sum of the parts. IMO of course!