Why become a member? ×

2nd bass buying advice, what should I be looking for?

Pinball

Hi, Well first off I just bought my first bass recently. A Peavy that plays and sounds good enough to make me hungry for more. I'm already wondering what to pick for my the next step up?

I have been looking on ebay and scouring the small adds. I get totally confused with the large number of different Ibanez and Yamaha guitars. I have an aversion to Fender guitars because I bout one in the past for a lot of money and never played it-not the guitars fault but hey. Ones that have cought my eye are the Spector Performa, NS2A, Peavey Cirrus, Schecter Stiletto. The problem is that not being able to hear touch them just makes it more confusing.

The important thing is sound.At the moment its not much of a problem as I'm recording so can manipulate the sounds as much as I like but I do intend to play live. I play everything from blues and rock through to clean sounds.

Advice on what I should be looking at for a few hundred quid would be much appreciated?

Also do I need to go "active" and modern or older?

[i]Note: I have a Schecter Blackjack and Spider 3/75 combo that I need to sell to fund this so if anyone one in the Bristol area has a bass to trade let me know.[/i]

Ed

My advice would be to go to a shop and try as many basses as you can - find out what you like and what you don't. There's no 'need' to go active or older or newer, that's just personal preference.

Secondly, buy second hand. You'll get far more bass that way.

Thirdly, really think about needing a second bass. I bought my second because I needed a backup when I started playing live and things went from there. Looking back that money would've been better spent on my rig, but whatever tickles your pickle. It's hard to say no to GAS.

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1331139757' post='1568365']
My advice would be to go to a shop and try as many basses as you can - find out what you like and what you don't. There's no 'need' to go active or older or newer, that's just personal preference.

Secondly, buy second hand. You'll get far more bass that way.
[/quote]

This.

Have no preconceptions, find somewhere with a huge stock, leave a day free and try everything on the wall. Better still, go to a local bass bash.

Your Peavey is perfectly ok to play live with, though.

Your both right, I can't make an informed decision without more knowledge and experience. Lead Guitars I can figure but when I bought my leads I had a bit more cash. I bought wisely and could get my money back and could speculate but basses are still a mystery to me. I don't have the cash backup or the confidence in what I would be buying.

I don't actually need a 2nd bass I JUST WANT ONE!

I still may just blow the cash on something anyway haahaa!

Cheers!

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1331140178' post='1568378']
Have no preconceptions
[/quote]

This, a million times this.

I was never a Fender fan myself, but try a decent one and having a bit of a play with it. I still don't like Precisions much, but I have several Jazz basses on my to buy list now.

Well Ispent about 1hr 30 mins in PMT in Bristol, They were great and let me try a few basses. I decided that I preferred 4 to 5 strings and out of their stock tried some of the cheaper Fenders, squires, Yamaha BB's and RBX's and an ibanez.

I have to admit that the Fenders and Yamahas felt and sounded what I was after. The BB's were great but I found the bodies heavy and the necks very slim and they didn't fit me as well as the RBX. Unfortunately there weren't any higher spec RBX's and the one I had (RBX27?) felt so light in comparison to the £800 BB that it felt like it was made out of cardboard. It sounded good but it didn't quite have the tone of the more expensive guitar.
So after my first visit its looking like an RBX yamaha or fender of some sort. I guess I now need to sort out the difference between jazz and precisions and find a higher spec RBX to play. Thanks for the good advice.

One more thing-body wood. I imagine that mahogany gives deeper tones than maple as it is heavy but what about the other woods like ash, alder and bass wood?

Edited by Pinball

Try stuff definitely. Depending on your budget I would also suggest you try G&L, US if you have a reasonable wedge, Tribute for less money and many will tell you there is very little difference in terms of results.

If you can get past the Fender connection (L is Leo Fender but you probably knew that anyway) something like an [url="http://www.glguitars.com/reviews/L2000.asp"]L2000[/url] will give you plenty of switching options including Passive/Active.

I got into G&L a few years back when I picked up my first fretted L2500, followed a year back by the fretless and love them to bits. IMHO they work beautifully in the classic rock / blues area, but go further than just that. They are an undiscovered gem, well I think so. Picked up both of mine, which are US models, for extremely good prices when you consider the current list - which gave me a nasty shock from an insurance value point of view when I found out what it was at the LBGS'11. Your biggest problem may be finding one to try.

G&L sound good. I tried some of their lead guitars a while back and the sound was 2nd to none. I'll maybe make do for a while until I find "the one". It is worth it I think as I can only play one at a time :D

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1331144785' post='1568478']

I don't actually need a 2nd bass I JUST WANT ONE!

Cheers!
[/quote]

Exactly! I have a Stingray, its my 'main' bass and I'll explain the inverted commas in a sec. I fancied something different and started looking at fretless basses. A friend convinced me to spend a little more in that if I liked it, I'd keep it and not have to sell and re buy a fretless. I went with a Sandberg basic, the reason? It has a pick up similar to the Stingray so should sound similar, I knew what to expect and it paid off.

Now my Stingray isn't my 'main' bass any more, it is in the function band but the fretless is the bass I use in the country/rock/blues/rockabilly band. I now have 2 main basses! Or any time I pretend to be Les Claypool in my bedroom! As for needing a 'back up'? Why? I don't play the strings hard enough to snap one and the basses are so reliable, I trust them.

If you can afford a second bass, go for it! I had 1 main bass and now I have 2. Theres loads to choose from and take your time finding one you'd really like.
I'd like a 3rd, a 5 string, but I know that will lead to a 4th, a 5 string fretless!

Dan

It's a basschat rule that within six months of joining you must own three basses, have already sold at least two more on to other members and be seriously looking to replace your rig. You'd better get a move on! :D :D :D

Edit: To get rid of the accidental subscript that made the writing miniscule

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1331557428' post='1574668']
It's a basschat rule that within six months of joining you must own three basses, have already sold at least two more on to other members and be seriously looking to replace your rig. You'd better get a move on! :D :D :D
[/quote]True B)

My name is Alan & until I joined BC I had used one bass for nigh on 20 years, changing amps every 4 or 5 years. Then I joined BC. OOPS!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1331557428' post='1574668']

Edit: To get rid of the accidental subscript that made the writing miniscule
[/quote]
If its the rule I must comply, I just snagged a Schecter off ebay. It's an early birthday prezzie as It's my birthday on Wednesday.
I trust Schecter build quality, it's a mid-ranger with decent EMG-HZ pick-ups and it was cheap. Bought unplayed, my thinking is that if I don't like it I can sell it again. It will keep me occupied until I get a decent amount of dosh together.
Fingers crossed!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140720400125&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_500wt_950"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140720400125&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_500wt_950[/url]

I'd be interested to know from anyone who has one or if anyone thinks I made a mistake!