Why become a member? ×

73 Precision rebuild (now with pics)

basshead56

Hi all,
Have recently got me mits on a 73 Precision that's seen better days.
Because she's not mint or even close, I've decided to have a go at getting her closer to what I've been after for a long time- an early 70's black/black/maple beast with a few mods.
Currently, it's got a faded oly white finish with plenty of mojo, shell pg, frets are good, non original brass bridge, original pups (tone pot's a bit crackly) and recessed knobs (now identified-from a Telefunken radio)

Pics here:
[url="http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r609/col_keane/"]http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r609/col_keane/[/url]

See? looks fairly abused, doesn't it?

So...

I'm going to strip her down to the wood and have a mate (who does a lot of paint jobs) refinish in black. Tick
I already have a b/w/b pg from a 77 I didnt need lying around. Tick
I'm considering popping in a set of Duncan SPB-3's in place of the original pups. Tick (they're in the post!)
replace the current bridge and knobs (?) Tick (also in post)
also add a thumbrest and chrome covers.

My questions/issues I need help with...
What sort of bridge can I put on that will allow the cover to fit on (the current one won't) and where to get it? (going with a vintage Fender one)

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Colin

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1331282653' post='1570619']
I can't help you as to whether the 77 pickguard will fit, but I do have a 73 Precision (the sunburst one in my avatar), so if you need any details checking, or any photos sending through, give me a shout.
[/quote]

That would be brilliant! I'd love some close-ups of the bridge and hardware.

Thanks for those Mark!

I've allready checked and the PG will fit fine!
Am thinking an American Vintage brass bridge will fit the bill nicely and have found a source for the right knobs, pup/bridge covers etc- good prices too.

I'll post some pics in the next few days, once I actually get round to starting!lol

Cheers
Colin