Why become a member? ×

Ebony necks on 70's Fenders

Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='173619' date='Apr 10 2008, 07:56 AM']Hi all
Does anyone know if Fender ever produced factory fretless Precisions with ebony necks in the 1970/early 1980s, either as standard or a custom option?
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Are you thinking what I'm thinking you're thinking?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='173675' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:22 AM']Not as far as I'm aware, and I've never seen it as an option in any of the catalogues.

The first fender with a factory ebony neck was the walnut Elite II:

[/quote]

You know what... if that wasn't such a ? ... ! ... walnutty (polite answer) colour I'd quite like that.

Did they do that config in a normal alder/ash with various colours or was it 'Elite' to the 'walnut' finish... and don't extract the urine you know what I mean :)

I seem to recall you quite liked that bass MB can you expand on it's attributes/tone?

[quote name='bremen' post='173672' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:14 AM']Are you thinking what I'm thinking you're thinking?[/quote]

I don't know :)

Thanks for the above info guys. I really like maple fretless and ebony fretless but don't like rosewood as much. I've been looking for a good ebony PBass neck and have just been offered what is described as an unmodified Fender '79 Factory fretless with ebony board. I might go and take a look as it's possible it is original, but I doubt if I'll be able to verify this, especially if it's a been done by a good luthier. The board is described as faultless which also duggests it's a recent modification.
Yes, those Walnut Elites were lovely weren't they :huh:
Chris

[quote name='Mike' post='173750' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:44 AM']Stop flirting, you two![/quote]

at the risk of making it a menage a trois :):huh: i [i]think[/i] i know what he thinks you're thinking...

Fender USA Fretless Precision Bass Vintage 1979 on ebay?

i wondered the same thing when i saw it a few days ago. looks really cool though

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='173714' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:01 AM']You know what... if that wasn't such a ? ... ! ... walnutty (polite answer) colour I'd quite like that.

Did they do that config in a normal alder/ash with various colours or was it 'Elite' to the 'walnut' finish... and don't extract the urine you know what I mean :)

I seem to recall you quite liked that bass MB can you expand on it's attributes/tone?[/quote]

Hello!

Ah.. My Elite. Along with the Fretless Tony Franklin (which also has an ebony board), '81 Walnut Precision Special and Duck Dunn P it's one of the four basses I wish I'd never sold.

Having said that, it was more for the bling factor than the tone! It was bloody heavy, but it was VERY modern sounding. It sounded huge, but it was also quite 'wide', tonally speaking. Not my thing.

The neck was like a plank, too - very, very wide at the nut and incredibly thin front-to-back.

I did some recording with it... I'll see if I can dig the songs out.

[quote]Thanks for the above info guys. I really like maple fretless and ebony fretless but don't like rosewood as much. I've been looking for a good ebony PBass neck and have just been offered what is described as an unmodified Fender '79 Factory fretless with ebony board.[/quote]

There's no way IMO that that board is factory. Apart from it being unheard of, it just looks too deep.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='176609' date='Apr 14 2008, 08:06 PM']Congrats Chris... You seem to be addicted to Precisions in the same way as I'm addicted to Statiis![/quote]

Indeed :)
Bit of a risk this one but have had several emails from the seller who seems to be pretty straight so time will tell...
Chris