Why become a member? ×

Choosing a double bass

rsk289

How do you choose the right size bass?
I've been playing orchestral bass trombone for around 40 years (mid-50s now), but the lip's beginning to fade and I fancy a change. Always fancied the bass as an orchestral instrument, and I have some knowledge of string technique as I started out on violin and used to lead the County Youth.
I'm 5' 8", arms a bit on the short side, medium-size hands for a bloke - any pointers?

As far as height/instrument size goes - I'm 5'9" with small hands and a 3/4 size (which is the most common you'll come across) is plenty fine for me.

Good thing to do if you can is to get in touch with your local education board, see if they have a music service nearby and go along to try out what they have. My local has a good variety from 1/8th to 4/4 sizes.

Thanks for the advice - very helpful and encouraging!
I'm currently trying out a Martin 'Concert 4/4', which I picked out of a bunch as I really like the sound (could be the trombone player in me...), but I think this may be too big. I need to break myself into it gently and give it a couple of weeks to get a better feel.
Bit confused about this - the label in the Martin says it's a Concert 4/4, but the free string length is 41.5", and the body height is around 45". I don't think this is full 4/4, is it?

Bass sizes are not that 'defined'. A 3/4 can be between x and y in length and can cross into other sizes (you will see adds for a 'small 3/4 size' or a 'large 3/4 size'. Stay away from a half size bass; they tend to be for young students only and will not be credible in a professional setting etc. But 3/4 is the default size for most jazzers and other secular musics. Larger basses tend to be used to be used for orchestral work but nothing is set in stone as some jazzers play 7/8 basses. But, the straight answer to your question is; try 3/4 size.

[quote name='rsk289' timestamp='1331547631' post='1574370']
Thanks for the advice - very helpful and encouraging!
I'm currently trying out a Martin 'Concert 4/4', which I picked out of a bunch as I really like the sound (could be the trombone player in me...),
[/quote]
Hi I'll be interested to see how you get on with the Martin bass. I am going over to England soon to try out a few of the Concert Models. What was it that made you gravitate toward that particular bass. re size I agree with Bilbo that sizes are not that defined. I'd imagine that the Bouts on your bass are quite large.

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1331556092' post='1574614']
Hi I'll be interested to see how you get on with the Martin bass. I am going over to England soon to try out a few of the Concert Models. What was it that made you gravitate toward that particular bass. re size I agree with Bilbo that sizes are not that defined. I'd imagine that the Bouts on your bass are quite large.
[/quote]

I spent a day at Malcolm Healey's shop and tried seven or eight basses out - I'm (will be?) an orchestral player, and found the Martin and another bass (can't remember make - Hungarian) gave the sonorous 'bass' sound I like, the Martin being more consistent throughout the range. So I'm giving it a try - it's difficult coming from a completely uninformed base (sorry), but I'm trying to establish a few set points to go from. Yes, the bouts on this bass are large - 20.5" and 27.5". Does the size of these have an effect on playability? I really am new to this!

Having spent years playing an instrument that changes shape while you play it, it feels odd to play one that you have to stretch yourself around...

Edited by rsk289

That doesn't sound like a particularly large bass. I have a Rogeri willow shen which is a pretty large 3/4. I can get around it easy enough and I'm just 5.6. I think the angle of the neck and the set up are as important regards playability . I am sure others can chip in here. Also I play the bass sitting so the size of the bass is less of a factor. I am sure those at Martin's shop will give you good advice. Presumably you have a teacher or will have one. I'd ask advice from a teacher too. It's a lot of money to spend so you certainly want to get it right. One of the most important factors that you mentioned is the sonorous 'bass' sound. Sound and playablity are the most important factors for me. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. ps I played the trombone for a bout 30 and moved to the dark side. Initially I thought that the Bass would need less maintenance boy was I wrong... but I don't regret a moment.