Why become a member? ×

Call me crazy.....

jazseven

...but i'm thinking of selling my '91 EBMM SR4 (along with my Spector Legend 5) to allow me to afford a better Spector neck thru.....

thing is the SR4 is my baby but ever since i got the 5string i just don't play her all that often and i think that when i upgrade the 5 i probably won't play her at all because the sound from the 5 will be that much better..... i just don't know :unsure: i'm not gonna be making a decision any time soon i know that much :happy:

what are peoples thoughts?

Edited by jazseven

yeah, i mean even this korean made bolt on i have in my hands right now is great, could play a bit better i'll give you that, but sound wise is very similar to the stingray, and a euro series can only be better... surely? but i love that ray too.... which leads me to the question at hand :P

it's not easy having G.A.S when you have no money :D

I played a 'Ray for the first time the other week, and I kinda failed to see what all the fuss is about. I'd like to get the chance to play one in a band situation so I could give it a fair chance, but on it's own, nothing about it jumped out at me in particular. It had a pretty nicely rounded tone, I'll give it that, but... not my cup of tea really.

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1331675315' post='1577129']
I played a 'Ray for the first time the other week, and I kinda failed to see what all the fuss is about. I'd like to get the chance to play one in a band situation so I could give it a fair chance, but on it's own, nothing about it jumped out at me in particular. It had a pretty nicely rounded tone, I'll give it that, but... not my cup of tea really.
[/quote]

I currently have 2 stingray 5's and I do know what you mean.
The stingray is not great at solo noodling but in a band situation it just sits in the mix where it should.

+1 Chris, my Fretless Stingray 5,s has one of the best neck,s for a 5er and defo sit,s in the mix well even for a fretless! Jazzseven iv,e had a fair few highend basses, i went down that road year,s ago, it,s nice to own them but you can get a bit precious with them i.e. gig,s etc , IMO a good amp and a good quality bass with a cool sound is all you need bud. It,s alway,s good to have a 4 knocking about, defo think about it. PB.

[quote name='pistonbroke' timestamp='1331684503' post='1577308']
+1 Chris, my Fretless Stingray 5,s has one of the best neck,s for a 5er
[/quote]

If I am playing a gig where I am unsure of the music and meeting new people etc , my stingray 5 is alway's my "go to" bass as i find the neck is just so easy to get on with :)

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1331708339' post='1577368']
If I am playing a gig where I am unsure of the music and meeting new people etc , my stingray 5 is alway's my "go to" bass as i find the neck is just so easy to get on with :)
[/quote]

What, the one you're selling in your sig? :huh:

I'm a huge Stingray fan. Used to have a 2-band 4 string ages ago and my fav bass to record with both for pleasing tone and playing comfort for long recording sessions. I sold it to get a 5 string, but ended up buying a Lakland which actually pulls off the passive MM tone quite convincingly. If you want a tight, punchy and ballsy bass tone the Stingray is very high on my list of suitable basses.

Some folks criticise the Stingray for being too much of a one trick pony. I will conceed that it's not a subtle bass, but you know where you stand with it just as much as a P or J bass. That's why they are very popular...no fuss with great results. I'm not a guy that will spend days to find the 'ultimate tone' (despite owning an EA amp!). I just want to plug in, crank it and and rock out!

The 2nd hand market for Stingray's has always been very good. You can find yourself a bargain in next to no time.

*forgot to add this!*

The Euro Spectors are a lot of bass for the money and just as good as the US models IMHO. The bolt-on ReBop model is a lot of fun to play and has a great neck profile. I have never been keen on the EMG Hz pickups, but that's just personal taste.

jazseven - Flea is commonly known for playing Stingray basses, but also used a Spector to record some of the songs on Mothers Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik!

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1331717008' post='1577472']
What, the one you're selling in your sig? :huh:
[/quote]

Thats right,
I am still keeping one stingray 5 , i dont plan on selling them both.
I have one with Maple fretboard and one with rosewood and at the moment the maple works better for what i am playing at the moment as the maple has slightly more mid range bite.

I am after and MTD and just cant keep them all

[quote name='jazseven' timestamp='1331727273' post='1577739']
Didn't know that about flea I must admit, not that surprised though, can get a pretty good stingray tone out of the Spector I have
[/quote]

...and here's the man himself giving a Spector the usual abuse he shows towards his Stingrays and Modulus basses!

[url="http://youtu.be/hU9vToZ8ti4"]http://youtu.be/hU9vToZ8ti4[/url]