Why become a member? ×

GK MB800 now advertised at Thomann.de

Musicman20

[quote name='TheDaivisch' timestamp='1340661519' post='1707875']
Would this be a chinese one, then?

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-MB800-Bass-Amplifier-Head~ID~17422.asp
[/quote]

Not sure but I want one haha!

Edited by Musicman20

It's chinese...

I got this message from them

[font="Verdana"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Verdana][size=2]"Hi David currently this unit is manufactured in GK’s factory in China , as are the majority of their products except the 2001RB, RBH cabs and MB150 models.[/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font="Verdana"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Verdana][size=2]There are unconfirmed rumours that all GK manufacturing is moving back to the US at some point. [/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Calibri][size=2]Kindest Regards [/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Calibri][size=2]Tom" [/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Calibri][size=2]Email: [email="[email protected]"][color="#234786"][email protected][/color][/email][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Calibri][size=2]Tel: 0191 487 9317[/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Calibri][size=2]Fax: 0191 491 0618[/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Calibri][size=2]Website: [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/"][color="#234786"]http://www.soundsliveshop.com/[/color][/url][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Calibri][size=2]Blog: [url="http://www.soundslive.wordpress.com/"][color="#234786"]www.soundslive.wordpress.com[/color][/url][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1339450566' post='1688806']
My video of the review of the MB800 came out today in iGuitar. The magazine is free to read:

[url="http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue-10-eddie-van-halen-iguitar/issue10/page/186"]http://licklibrary.c...ssue10/page/186[/url]

That's a really great amp!
[/quote]Good review. Impressive little amp. Great magazine as well. :)

I can vouch for the MB500 fusion. It’s loud. As Lozz stated I have not got much above 9 o'clock on mine. Love the warmth for Jazz and hotel dinner dance gigs. You do have to temper the contour and gain settings on louder gigs and use the Amp end more than the gain to stay clean and articulate. But that’s the beauty the valves and presets are there when you want it, you don't have to cook with them all the time. I wonder what this new baby will sound like through an 8 x 10
:gas:

Ok, so I contacted Polar Audio, and they got back to me VERY quickly, and with some good information. Nice to see a good distributor!

Here goes, hope they don't mind me typing what they told me.

GK (USA) told them this:

[color=#1F497D]“As of January 2012, all models have been assembled in the U.S. However, there is some existing inventory still carrying a China designation. Primarily this is the MB212, 212MBE and 410MBE. We will be sold out of all China made inventory soon, at which point all products will carry a Made in U.S. designation”[/color]
[color=#1F497D] [/color]
[size=2]Polar Audio - They said they have checked a couple of the MB800’s they [/size][size=2]have in stock and none of them carry a ‘Made in China’ designation. The USA NEO cabs should be available towards then end of August.[/size]

I then got another response, even though I didn't ask anything else stating:

[size=2]"We can confirm that all the MB800s available from POLARaudio are USA made[/size]".

Good news all round.

I don't in any way need another amp, but the MB800 seems a right little beast.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1340834589' post='1710432']
how do they get two channel in these heads? is it swtiched by a footswtich!

[/quote]

Yes a footswitch (with LED) and a cable is supplied with the head. To switch manually, you gently press the gain control inward for the channel you want. It's a push button as well. The ring round the outside lights up blue. IIRC I covered it in my video review linked above.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1340834589' post='1710432']
how do they get two channel in these heads? is it swtiched by a footswtich!

my bass clipped the input on one of the early ones of these so ive always avoided them! maybe its time i gave one another go?

andy
[/quote]

I think on a technicality it's only one channel, in that they share an EQ so most of the circuit in the pre is the same. There's two gain structures though which allow you to boost the gain/volume as you please. :) I still find it strange that you made one clip, maybe it was a fault or something, GKs are well known for sounding great with MM basses, which are very high output. It's be strange if GK didn't cater for louder basses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got an mb800 from the US quite early on. I managed to switch to the european voltage on my own.

But there were no mids in it. I was hoping for some serious punch, but it just wasn't there. I like high power, fast response and clean sounds. The GK was a disppointment, soundwise, but a+ for portability. I just couldn't see me wanting to carry it to a gig.

[quote name='Reissueplayer' timestamp='1344017348' post='1758857']
I got an mb800 from the US quite early on. I managed to switch to the european voltage on my own.

But there were no mids in it. I was hoping for some serious punch, but it just wasn't there. I like high power, fast response and clean sounds. The GK was a disppointment, soundwise, but a+ for portability. I just couldn't see me wanting to carry it to a gig.
[/quote]

I don't know if the voicing is the same across the MB series, but on the MB200 the EQ is closest to flat with the following settings:
Contour = Off
Treble = 10 o'clock
Hi Mid = 2 o'clock
Low Mid = 1 o'clock
Bass = 10 o'clock

I thought my mb200 was a bit mid-shy until I stumbled across this information on Talkbass and tried those settings as a starting point. I find I can get plenty of mids as long as the bass and treble controls are backed off a bit, though with the fixed EQ frequencies it's still possible that they may not be centred where you want them.