Why become a member? ×

Going back to a simple old school set up.

thumperbob 2002

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1331806265' post='1579044']
For Eb those guys would have just played up the neck!
[/quote]

Works for me too. Never ever had someone say "ooh that song was crap cos the Eb was too high" :ph34r:

And its less to carry/worry about. When i see the guitaritst fiddling with his pedal board i quietly chuckle to myself knowing that he will be doing a balancing act all night trying to press the right pedal at the right time, stressing over miniscule changes in wah or chorus etc.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331811815' post='1579189']
No, don't worry. :lol:
[/quote]

Who am I kidding! Yeah, you are probably right :P . Sometimes you have to post a tactile message just in case the missus looks at my internet history! ;)

Sounds good to me... I don't like to complicate the signal chain as what works in a set-up situation may not sound quite like that with all guns blazing, but that is just what suits me and the bands I play in.
I've tried a few effects for certain songs/parts but they don't last long.

I recall our gtr..everytime he changes amp or gtr that is a WHOLE load of work he has to put in the tweak his effects.

But I am thinking of getting a pedal board just so I can claim my stage space :lol: :lol:

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1331812026' post='1579197']
Works for me too. Never ever had someone say "ooh that song was crap cos the Eb was too high" :ph34r:

And its less to carry/worry about. When i see the guitaritst fiddling with his pedal board i quietly chuckle to myself knowing that he will be doing a balancing act all night trying to press the right pedal at the right time, stressing over miniscule changes in wah or chorus etc.
[/quote]

strange enough Superstition never sounds right with The normal Eb on a four string, so I add a lower Octave with my sub pedal- job done. Believe you me, very noticable. More noticable when this was played on the B string of a 5- so I just need that little extra.

Generally I totally agree with the OP comments and its how I have played most of my life. Amp, cable, bass (usually Precision of Jazz) and nothing else. I like to keep it 100% simple. I would however add that I think the bass you use is a very important factor in defining your sound. I mostly use a Precision as it has fitted with most things I play from punk pop with a pick to thumpy motown finger style. However, using a Warwick or a Stingray will change the overall tone and put a different angle on it and may work better.

Saying that, I have just purchased a flanger and overdrive pedal to create a few different tones but and I can't stress this enough, it would only be if a project required it rather than changing my usual tone all the time.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1331819100' post='1579394']
strange enough Superstition never sounds right with The normal Eb on a four string, so I add a lower Octave with my sub pedal- job done. Believe you me, very noticable. More noticable when this was played on the B string of a 5- so I just need that little extra.
[/quote]

That's interesting. I play that song in concert pitch no matter if I am using a 4 or 5 string. Sounds ok to me. Do you play the low Eb on that song?

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331821898' post='1579455']
That's interesting. I play that song in concert pitch no matter if I am using a 4 or 5 string. Sounds ok to me. Do you play the low Eb on that song?
[/quote]
We do it in E at the singers request! Makes life easy but songs that we do in Eb, I Wish, for example were played on a 4 string originally so theres no need to go looking for a way of achieving the low Eb.

Many of the songs that we attempt that have lower than "E" were originally done on a synth. "Around the world", Lisa Stansfield for example. In these cases i look for a good live version done with a "proper" bass player and use that as my starting point.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1331823377' post='1579479']
We do it in E at the singers request! Makes life easy but songs that we do in Eb, I Wish, for example were played on a 4 string originally so theres no need to go looking for a way of achieving the low Eb.
[/quote]

Just checked myself before a wrecked myself...yeah, I actually do play Superstition in E and I Wish in Eb! Perfect demontstration of my lousy memory once again! :blush:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331807164' post='1579077']
They may notice how good the band sounds, it's a subliminal thing most of the time. They are not interested in your gear or that you boosted 370Hz with a low Q. But they'll notice if you play with a sh*t sound that makes the band sound poor.
[/quote]

Spot on.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331823607' post='1579487']
Just checked myself before a wrecked myself...yeah, I actually do play Superstition in E and I Wish in Eb! Perfect demontstration of my lousy memory once again! :blush:
[/quote]

I wish- what a song - at the end of it ( after I have really gone for it ) our singer says- ladiiiiies and geeentleeman- bob on bass.,....I actually play the highest note ( other than false harmonics ) on the bass- like sir duke. Very satisfying.

I've never ever used anything other than an amp a cab a lead and a bass when playing live. The three bands I play with now all play detuned a semi tone and my amp settings remain the same for all gigs with nothing more than a little Eq tweak to suit the acoustics of the venue. Does that make me a Neanderthal?

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1331805202' post='1579019']
I have just come to the conclusion that anything other than you and your bass just gets in the way with playing music ( live that is )
[/quote]

Yeah, I got that too. Pesky amps, always getting in the way

I've always used a simple bass - amp - speaker setup. I tried a using a compressor for a while, then a Boss BE5-B effects unit and didn't really see any use for either of them as far as I was concerned.