Why become a member? ×

Adding a J to a P

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi

I have a new 2011 US P bass, which is a fantastic instrument, it's my 1st P bass as I have allways loved and used J type basses, I'm loving the P sound but want more options so am thinking about adding a J pickup at the bridge. Much prefer J necks but that's a seperate issue....

I want to keep the bass passive and dont want to loose volume by selecting the j pickup, so was wondering:

Any horror stories with getting the routing/wiring done?

What pickups do you recomend, I'm a big fan of the 62 jazz sound and want to compliment the existing stock P pickup?

Do you recomend a 3 way selector switch for the pup's or a pan pot and why?

Ta very much :)

If you want the sound of a 62 Jazz get a Jazz. A modified P bass won't come close to a Jazz tone.

If you want to get more out of your Pbass I'd look to put in a top quality P pickup. A Nordstrand or Fralin should give you a better sound than just adding a J pickup.

I'll add to the general 'keep your P as it is and get a J' sentiment... P and J pups don't work together very well at the best of times - in my humble opinion. I've never been able to satisfactorily balance the two pups properly, and gave up with it. It's a pain in the ass. And as has been said, why bugger up a perfectly good P-Bass..? Your decision though, obviously! :D

Guest subaudio

Hi guys, thanks for the wise replies.

I'd love a Jazz bass but have no cash and none of my stuff is selling so I was trying to think of an affordable way to widen my sound options.

I think, having listened to your advice that your right, I should leave it alone and buy a Jazz when/if funds allow, and leave the P do what it does best.

Edited by subaudio