Why become a member? ×

Roller Bridge Buzz

simwells

I've got a 70s Arbiter Matsumoko twin neck that has previously had a Schaller roller bridge fitted to it but if the E string is played in anger it buzzes. Most noticably with a pick on a down stroke.

Any ideas what would be causing it? It does appear to have been installed a couple of degrees off parallel with strings, could this be it?

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1332169194' post='1584184']
[color=#808080]I've got a 70s Arbiter Matsumoko twin neck that has previously had a Schaller roller bridge fitted to it but if the E string is played in anger it buzzes. Most noticably with a pick on a down stroke[/color][color=#A9A9A9].[/color]

[b]Any ideas what would be causing it?[/b] [color=#808080]It does appear to have been installed a couple of degrees off parallel with strings, could this be it?[/color]
[/quote]

I'll have a wild stab in the dark here. It's probably caused by the E string being played in anger with a pick on a down stroke. :D

Seriously though, you say it previously had a Schaller bridge. What has it got now? And when you say played in anger, how angry are we talking?

It is unlikely (depending on the new bridge fitted) that it being slightly squint (pics might help) is causing the noise... if that were the case then half the bridges of a certain market leader I've seen would make the same noise. :lol:

Haha, I must not have been very clear it now has the Schaller roller bridge, originally it would have had a bridge similar to the gibson SG basses (it's SG styled)

When I say anger I guess having a quick play now it's actually evident in most pick playing unless very gentle and happens if I dig in with fingers. The buzz is very clear and appears to be coming from the bridge saddle itself.

Yeah that was my thought as well as it couldn't be more than at very most five degrees but I'd think more like 2-3 off.

Yeah it's identical to this one http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Bass_bridges/Schaller_4-String_Roller_Bass_Bridge.html?tab=Pictures#details
As far as I remember the sound isn't coming through the amp but is definitely cutting the sustain.

Will take photos and have a play through my amp as soon as I can, may have a question or two on rewiring it to return the setup to having the pickup selectors rather than the additional volume controls that have been added.

Hmm I can't see anything obvious there. Although not pretty, the bridge conversion looks solid enough. Perhaps you could try nipping up the screws a bit to eliminate any vibration.

Are you absolutely certain the buzz is coming from the bridge? There are springs and things in the pickup cavity which could set it off.

That was my feeling,

It definitely appears to be the E string saddle yes, adjusting it has improved it slightly but it's still definitely there. If you press down on the outer edge of the E saddle it entirely cures the problem so it almost feel as if it's being pulled onto one of the grub screws rather than both. Have continued to play and set it up a few different ways and seem to have virtually got rid of it now. Not perfect but I reckon it's as close as it can get.

On another note someone has replaced the pickup selectors with pots allowing to blend between, I'd rather return it to the switches. I have the switches and it has two connectors one side and one on the other. The pickups are currently wired into the pot with a total of 6 wires (two per pickup then a pair off to the volume and tone controls. How should this be wired?

Edited by simwells