Why become a member? ×

NBAC Day (new bass, amp and cab day.....)

nottswarwick

So

A trip to Bass Direct has proved most fruitful.

I have returned with:
GB Streamliner 600
Vanderkley 112ETX cab
MTD KZ4 Bass

Lol..

Tell you what though, anyone actually wanting to buy something properly needs to go to Mark's shop or similar and spend a couple of hours actually trying some stuff out. I now have the sound that was in my head.

Together it all sounds clear, warm and beefy, and very versatile.

That is all

Chris

Corrrr - I haven't had such an expensive day out as that since about 1973 :D :P :lol: :happy:

Are the pics ready yet?
-
-
-
-
Are the pics ready yet?
-
-
-
-
-
Are the pics ready yet?
-
-
-
-
-
-
Are the pics ready yet?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Are the pics ready yet?

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1332266584' post='1585840']
I've taken myself to court and had a restraining order taken out against myself which forbids me from going within 2 miles of postcodes starting CV34 - it's for the best.
[/quote]

hahaha. Wise man.
I actually intended to buy a cab....

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1332263291' post='1585774']
All sounds very exciting Chris, however.....

:useless:

:)
[/quote]

+1

I have to say the two times I have gone to bass direct I have come away with something! Look forward to seeing the pics! So was it the intention to get a bass, amp and cab?

Just seen above you said cab B) but was it by chance you tried all three?

Edited by S9_S12_Bass

OK OK> these are terrible shots quickly done on my iPhone. But hopefully they will serve as proof lol

I have to say, the cab is absolutely superb, really really top notch. Light, deep, full, airy, detailed. By far the best cab I have played - I and have played a few.

The head, well we all know about these. Tried the 900 too, but I am just not going to need that power, especially if (when lol) I add another cab. But in truth this rig sounds superb indeed.

Bass-wise, I took my Stingray down the the shop to demo things with, but I just was not happy with the sound. I tried the Sandberg P/MM bass that he has in, and that was very nice, then Mark wheeled this one out. I did not really know too much about MTD basses, but I played it, and got to know it a bit, and it sounds really nice. Much fuller than the 'ray, which obviously has a unique tone footprint. However, much as I have loved Stingrays, the winds of change have blown, and so there we have it.

And it goes in my Eunos Roadster (mx5) too for the odd occasion when the "big" car is otherwise engaged.

woo hoo, huzzah, etc. Job done. First gig on sat, but I can't see it being a disappointment at all. Quality gear, quality sounds.

Cheers

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1332267928' post='1585869']
+1

I have to say the two times I have gone to bass direct I have come away with something! Look forward to seeing the pics! So was it the intention to get a bass, amp and cab?

Just seen above you said cab B) but was it by chance you tried all three?
[/quote]

I did indeed try all 3. My Stingray sounded too harsh and honky through the GB Shuttle 12t combo I started out on. Great amp, that, by the way, but not for me, too detailed. Really, the rest is just a sorry tale of temptation, to-ing and fro-ing around the shop, listening to Mark talking to a visiting rep (who was, it turned out, Albert Lee's son (Country Picking leg-end)). And then, as with all things in life, the inevitable happened and a deal was struck.

hoho

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332275006' post='1586026']
Ahhhhh... much better :)

Glad you like the MTD. I had a cheaper Kingston Heir, and was very, very impressed by it. The sound was very refined - which I think is my version of your "fuller" :)
[/quote]

I can't see there being a much better bass around for £550 to be honest. Seems to be able to do most sounds well, nice to play, looks the business. Need to get a new lead though, my neutrik ended ones are not that tight-a fit in the jack socket (my hot-wire one is fine).

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1332277245' post='1586086']
The MTD looks a delightful bargain! All together seems a very very capable setup, congrats :happy:
[/quote]

Thanks. Yes, I think it will be great. Certainly it is the sound in my head.
Tell you what, these Vanderkley cabs are excellent. And superbly built too, a proper professional product.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1332282444' post='1586216']
Lovely stuff! A superb looking rig - great to hear that you've found your ideal gear
[/quote]

Thanks, I'm pleased. I will try to get some more pics done, but to be fair, we all know what a Streamliner looks like, and a cab is a cab :-/

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1332275171' post='1586030']
I did indeed try all 3. My Stingray sounded too harsh and honky through the GB Shuttle 12t combo I started out on. Great amp, that, by the way, but not for me, too detailed. Really, the rest is just a sorry tale of temptation, to-ing and fro-ing around the shop, listening to Mark talking to a visiting rep (who was, it turned out, Albert Lee's son (Country Picking leg-end)). And then, as with all things in life, the inevitable happened and a deal was struck.

hoho
[/quote]

Excellent that's the best way to do it B)

Nice pics as well!

Edited by S9_S12_Bass