Why become a member? ×

VAT Duty expierence buying used guitar from USA

Bezdelis

Hello friendly basschat comunity!!

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has expierence from importing guitars from ebay-US.
I've bought on ebay very rare used guitar and total cost with shipping is about 1080$. In declaration seller will be marking real item value because of insurance.
So HRMC gonna charge me almost 200 pounds for an old piece of wood?

Thanks

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1332275997' post='1586046']
So about £680 including shipping + 3.7% duty + VAT 20% + handling charge approx £12. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Just to clarify for the OP: if the insurance charge is not included in the shipping charge then the insurance fee also attracts 3.7% duty + VAT 20%.

[quote name='Bezdelis' timestamp='1332278649' post='1586127']
Thanks to everyone.. as far as I thought there will be these ~25%

Maybe someone ever negotiated with revenue? Or someone got through without paying duties? Or someone claimed VAT refund or something? Come on.. this is old beaten guitar.
GAS for every Jerry Cantrell fan original 1985 Made by Leo Fender, 3 bolt neck, bichin guitar. Some years ago these were going around 250$ but times had changed since, even reissue models has been made...
[/quote]

No way to avoid it unfortunately. Don't even think about cheating HMRC out of their money - a heavy fine and/or prison would be the likely outcome. Walking through customs when nobody's home is one thing (but then you'd need to travel to the States to pick it up - defeats the object - and is still illegal strictly speaking), but defrauding HMRC is a whole different ball game.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1332280594' post='1586179']
No way to avoid it unfortunately. Don't even think about cheating HMRC out of their money - a heavy fine and/or prison would be the likely outcome. Walking through customs when nobody's home is one thing (but then you'd need to travel to the States to pick it up - defeats the object - and is still illegal strictly speaking), but defrauding HMRC is a whole different ball game.
[/quote]
And they have the power to confiscate the goods.