Why become a member? ×

First time. Need a LOT of help.

KingBollock

I have been bandless for about 18 years and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. So I decided to have a go at recording. There are many problems with this idea. 1. I'm not very good with a Guitar. 2. I'm not much better on Bass. 3. I have never programmed Drums before. 4. I can't sing. 5. I don't have much in the way of equipment and my software is free stuff. 6. I have no experience at all.

I'm basically using an old Boss GX-700 for Guitar and a Behringer V-Amp Pro for Bass, both going into the line-in on my on-board soundcard. I am using Hydrogen for Drums. I am using Audacity to record with. Other than picking up a small mixer soon, I have no money to to buy better equipment, so that's not an option.

The good news is that I'm only doing it for fun, so I won't be terribly disappointed when I fail to sound professional. But I would at least like to try to make it sound listenable.

I have had a go at one track. I chose The White Stripes' Blue Orchid, mainly because it has a very simple Drum pattern and this was my very first time with a Drum program of any kind. It also has no proper Guitar solo, something I've never been able to get the hang of, I play Guitar like a Bass player.

This is the track I have recorded: [url="http://soundcloud.com/user5139486/kingbollock-blue-orchid-5a"]http://soundcloud.co...-blue-orchid-5a[/url] (It's called 5a because everytime I save after I change something I give it a new name so I don't lose the previous version) [i]I am fully aware that it sounds awful and it has taken a lot of guts for me to put that link up here[/i]. I have been sitting on it for nearly a week not knowing what to do. I am aware of the timing issues, there is an issue with differing amounts of lag from the Guitar and Bass, the other timing issues are just me being lazy and not re-recording stuff, but that's something I know I can sort out. The problem that's bugging me the most is the unwanted sounds on the Guitar, the string sliding and extra stuff, I can't seem to get rid of it and I am at a loss as to how I can record Guitar without those sounds. I suppose just not making those sounds would be the answer, I have a feeling that the sound I'm using for the Guitar isn't helping though. Another problem that is really worrying me is when the Drums kick in properly, there feels like there's a wobble or dip in the volume, I can feel it but I can't see it, so I don't know what I'm actually hearing, what's that all about?

I was really, really unhappy with the way I played the Guitar solo bits, as simple as they are, so I re-recorded them with a Phaser effect to hide the sloppiness. I quite like how that bit ended up though. I also know about the extra Bass bit near the end that shouldn't be there, but I liked it so I left it, even if it did sound a bit woolly.

I don't have monitors so I have only heard it through my PC which has an ancient 2.1 speaker system.

So, some advice on my questions and opinions/advice on the rest of the track. Be honest, I can handle constructive criticism, but also don't be nasty, I don't have much confidence and I don't want what little I have knocked out of me.

Edited by KingBollock

I'm actually quite enjoying, quirks and all. I actually like the little bit of guitar noise in there, it's kinda adding to the feel. Am I right in saying it's all panned dead centre? The drums just seem to lack a little authority (needs a stronger kick and snare I think) but otherwise not bad at all.

I think you're being a little bit over critical of yourself to be honest. It's very listenable, very enjoyable and overall not a bad effort :) keep up the good work.

If you want to cut the guitar noises a little bit then I think you're best off doing this a recording time. Maybe try reducing the gain a little bit and perhaps a little treble

You're too kind!

I'd forgotten about the Drum levels, another thing I'm not happy with. It wasn't until after that final mix that I found the levels mixer in the Drum program, I shall see what I can do to sort it out.

I find finding a good Guitar sound difficult, I've never played along with other instruments with the Guitar before and didn't know if the sound would work or not, I like it on it's own. I'd never realized all those noises were there when playing before. I think I need to tighten up my technique.

Thanks for giving it a listen.

No problem :)

Like I say, it adds a little bit of feel to the tracks so I don't think you should try to remove it entirely. You might be able to hide some of the noise using a slower attack on a compressor but it may have an adverse affect elsewhere

There's a new version up there now too. I've only messed with the Drums a bit really, but I've also made the Bass and Guitar panned left and right a bit just to see what how it would sound.

Using Audacity, is it possible to make a part pan from left to right? I downloaded a bunch of plug-ins but I can't see one that would do it.

Audacity is great, but I recommend downloading a copy of Reaper:

http://www.reaper.fm/

Great piece of software and the trial period is unlimited with no limitations either – i.e. you get the complete package, free to try for as long as you like. The commercial license is also very cheap and good value for money, should you decide to support the developer and buy a copy.

Add to this any number of free VST plug-ins that are available, and you’ll be well on your way!

PS: you might like to join the Basschat SoundCloud group and share your music there too... it's a nice community and a good place to get feedback:

http://soundcloud.com/groups/basschat

I've heard worse. A [i]lot [/i]worse. For a first time that's actually very good. Timing issues didn't particularly stand out for me.

Drums need to come up louder. Take a smidge of treble off the guitar and add a touch of reverb. A bit less gain will help with the string noise, though I didn't think it detracted much if any.

If you're going straight into your soundcard one instrument at a time, you don't really need a mixer. I agree with Skol303 - spend your cash on a copy of Reaper and use that instead of audacity. For one thing you can adjust your levels manually during playback or write an automation envelope - easy as drawing a line.

Reaper comes as a free, unlimited trial and costs about £40 to buy outright. It also comes with a sh*t-load of good, free plug-ins. That means you can stick a clean-ish signal in and play around with your gain, eq etc [i]after[/i] you've recorded. For more free plug-ins go to the free vst thread pinned at the top of this very forum.

Edited by skankdelvar

The mixer isn't just for recording, there's a few things I use one for, it's just that my current one is dying and needs replacing.

I shall go grab myself Reaper. To be honest I'm a little scared, I was given a copy of CuBase many, many years ago and I took one look at it and gave up. I think I've spent all these years just hoping I'd meet someone who knew the basics who could help get me started. It's odd because I'm forever learning how to do things for other people, so they don't have to ([i]"KB... build me a website." "But...but... I've never built one before and have no idea how to go about it!" "I'm sure you'll be fine..." [/i]22 hours later, with no sleep, and I've learned the basics of HTML and built a fully functioning website packed with tables (this was in about 1997). And the bugger only used if for a few months before he packed that business in and started a new one. Guess who got to build the new website too... And I'm sick of hearing "I've bought this thing, can you come and install it and learn how to program it and make it do this and make it do that?"), but I never seem to take the time to learn the things [i]I[/i] want to do.

Good evening, KB...

Firstly, I'd like to state that soppy, comforting praise is not my style, rather more 'Sorry, lad, but it stinks...' is more typical of me. Just so that you may be sure that if I say that your posted effort is bloody good for a first time (and not bad for a 10th, either...), it's certainly not for flattering your ego. You do [i]NOT[/i] need a great deal of help, imho, you're doing just fine as you are. You will, of course, considerably improve once the experts start giving out their tips and experience, but you're already on the right road.
The technical details of latency etc. you are already aware of, and correcting, so not much to say there. The 'tune' (?...) chosen is not one familiar to me, but I can recognise the 'Stripes' easily enough, and I would guess that your version is a fair portrayal of the original, at least in spirit. The playing (guitar and bass...) are far from disgracious, allowing, of course, for the 'genre', which is quite forgiving. No problems there, either.
Panning and stuff is fairly easy to get to grips with, as there are a few basic 'rules' (I think that there are threads on this site explaining these...) which you can surely adapt to your needs.
The guitar noise which so disturbs you is, in some ways, part and parcel of the electric guitar. To reduce, one can change the strings for a smoother type (or even flats...); the 'tone' will differ, of course. Another trick to try would be a noise gate (beneath a certain threshold, the guitar is 'muted'...), but the playing will have to be adjusted. I agree, however, with the posters above that it is not out of place in context here. It will be quite difficult to eliminate completely with such a high gain.
All in all, if you're looking for an excuse to not continue, you won't get it from me. Back to the woodshed, young lad; post the results as and when, and you'll be up to pretty polished results quite quickly, with the advice and council from many here.
Keep it up, please.
Hope this helps.

As has been said by others, this is a great first attempt. Well done.

I'd also like to congratulate you on putting something up online. I also write and record solo and have a soundcloud page. Sitting on things for a while is not unusual for me either.

As I'm a rubbish guitarist I turn down the tone control on the guitar. That seems to help reduce some string noise although as other have said it isn't a huge problem in this style of music.

Keep it up and let us know how it goes.

This is only loosely associated with recording but I didn't know where else to ask.

I've been looking through the Recording forum on here but a lot of the links are .ipb files and I don't know how to open them. There's not much about them on Google but what little I found suggested they are to do with iPhones, which isn't much good to me. How can I view these files? Or is it something to do with the forum software not showing the links properly.

There's one in the first post of this thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/151365-eq-tips-for-common-instruments/ Just so you know what I'm talking about.

I think it sounds great for a first effort to be honest. I've only been recording stuff for a little over a year, but here are some tip's I've picked up which might be helpful.

1. You could try hi-passing and lo-passing the guitars, which is using an EQ to get rid of the low lows and the high highs, for guitar you could safely get rid of everything below 65-70hz and everything above 12-12khz without chaning the fundamental tone, but it will get rid of some noise you won't necessarily hear, but that will muddy up the mix. You could use ReaEQ in reaper to do that, most EQ's have the option though. Same with the bass, though I would normally take more lows from the guitars, and take more highs from the bass.

2. I'd drop the gain a bit on the guitar, I find by the time that you have everything layered up that you don't need as much gain as you think you do. That should help with some of the squeaks as well on the strings.

3. I'm not familiar with hydrogen, but can you send on the separate parts of the drum to separate tracks in Reaper/Audacity? If so, you could try replacing parts of the kit with better samples, which can be found for free online. I think the kick and snare need to go up in volume as well (or drop the guitars down), so that might solve the problem.

4. If you wanted some different tones, you could use the Behringer or the Boss to record a DI signal, and use some free amp plugins on your computer on the signal. LePou has some good ones for guitar, and there is a great sansamp plugin called TSE BOD.

Hope these help!

Thank you all for your kind remarks and advice, it's really helped. In fact I'm now working on something a bit more complicated and closer in style to what I'd really like to do. I have a feeling that I'm trying to do too much too soon with this one though. But, as long as I remember that cock-ups are expected when starting out and that it's not going to hurt anyone if I don't get it exactly how I want it too, it will be good experience.

The problem I am having now is with the Drum program I'm using, Hydrogen. It's really simple to use, which is what gave me the confidence to actually get around to try recording, and I like the sounds I get from it, but it crashes a lot and I can't figure out why. To give it as much CPU and as little interference as I can I am running everything else on an adjacent PC so that Hydrogen has my main PC to itself. This has helped it stay up for longer but it does still crash. Is there another, free, Drum program I can use that is as simple?