Why become a member? ×

Originals Bands - Getting Out There (Us & It)

spongebob

The originals band I joined towards the end of last year is currently making the finishing touches to an album, due for release around May.

There's a lot of talk about how to get the 'product' out there - it's a iTunes/Amazon digital release.

I suppose the idea is to get some kind of unsigned radio play, etc. Band is based in Kent area.

Any suggestions on where exactly to go on this? I'd love to hear from others in a similar/more advanced position. The web is great, but where do you start?

Is there an unofficial list of places to contact, etc.?

I've also struggled a bit on the gig front - last time I was doing originals (about 2 years ago) - places seem to have vanished! Don't want to drag around the pub circuit, so where can we go with it?

Just after any suggestions from BC'ers here - help me impress the band with ideas! :rolleyes:

my band is in pretty much the same situation, just stuck a release on itunes etc

we have signed up to bbc introducing which hopefully will get our tracks some airplay at some point

we are at the moment calling in favours etc

im looking for more places for online radio play, as well as maybe online mags/blogs that might review the songs.

signing up to unsigned guide is helpful, gives a list of promoters contacts as well as venues, management, radio etc

Promote it like Hell through Facebook, Reverbnation etc,

Hastings Rock FM (only broadcasts in May) was good for us. Local(ish) for Kent, only does Rock music, we got one track on the playlist. Boosted sales massively and in the listeners' chart we placed one higher than the Clash's London Calling :)

Our singer tried to boost sales by mentioning at gigs, but just led to a demand for CDs (which we lost money on in the end). Next time we're going to advertise on flyers to put around at gigs.

On the venues front in West Kent-

Tunbridge Wells Forum has been great for us. Eclectic range of bands, so a gig for pretty much everyone. If you join the "Stable" or "Show us your Guns" (both effectively BOTB type things) and bring a few people in, then you stand a great chance of getting a support slot. We've become a popular choice for the more mature punk/indie touring bands. Could also give you chance to play Unfest.

If your more accoustic, soul or Jazz, then the Grey Lady in TW is good. Could also lead to a spot at Local and Live festival.

Festivals - Lounge on the Farm (Canterbury) have a few small stages for up and coming bands. Nice festival too. There may be similar at the Hop Farm festival too?

We've been offered our own headlining gig at the Forum. Just trying to sort our drummer situation before going ahead. If you might be interested in one of the support slots, let me know. The Jetsonics (LowEndBee's band) may also be playing that night if it all works out for everyone.

As a band, we're also thinking of trying to put on some smaller nights in the Sussex in Tun Wells (pub with small venue (actually tiny) in the basement). Again, let me know if you're potentially interested. Oh, and there's very strong links between the Sussex and the Forum, so it can be another way to get in there.

Otherwise we mostly make the trip to that there London for gigs.