Why become a member? ×

muting or dead notes

daz

Its only since i started to get past beginner level that i have realized this. But i should have really known for a long time as Billy Sheehan, mentioned it that he muted notes the same way, when i saw him in Manchester bass day last year. When i play something from tab or notation, (IE: Something that is supposed to be a particular way, and not something that I have composed or [i]free formed[/i] myself) if i try to put in the muting or dead notes or grace notes i always mess up. Usually i will eventually work it out in my own way and own style.

I eventually came to realize that, only[i] after[/i] I had got the main body of notes in the correct order and got the timing correct that i was putting in the muting etc, without even realizing that i was doing it. That was why a song would eventually sound correct. Not because i had practiced it over and over, but that i had slowly put all the extra bits in where they were needed and not even realized it.

The thread about [i]Good Times[/i] by Chic, got me thinking about it. Someone mentioned muting, dead notes or something. I thought to myself "What dead notes" there are none in that riff. It was only when i played it and eventually recorded myself that i realized that i had put them in and not even been aware of it. then i thought on this more and saw that this was how i had started to do things for quite a while now.

If I [i]think[/i] about putting a mute or dead note in as I am doing it, it becomes much more difficult. Only after I have got it right can I put any thought into it, otherwise it gets messed up.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this. Or like to share the way they go about it. Or am I the only one who does it this way ?

Edited by daz

Ghost notes, muted notes and grace notes are, for me, one of those elements of playing that really define the 'feel' aspect of playing. I think it applies equally to electric and double bass. When I try to write melodies and bass lines into Sibelius, the kinds of nicks and knocks makes so much difference to the overall feel of the piece.

I guess its like the difference between a great actor and an oik reading from the written page. Its not the text that defines the performance but the nuances of the performance. Same with playing. Its not the actual notes that define the experience but the way they are played.