Why become a member? ×

Distorting noises...

pietruszka

Hey,

I gigged last night and during the first set my cab started making awful distorted noises with the signal going all over the place. From top to bottom;

Stingray bass- possibly the battery going?
Lead- checked it and was fine.
Aguilar AG500 SC- Was fine, I unplugged the speakon cable and used it as a DI box, signal was fine.
OBBM speakon cable- more reliable than Japanese public transport.
MarkBass 104 HR- My first thought as to the problem.

Now I changed the battery and every thing was fine, no hint of it happening again. Is this what happens when the battery goes? Im rather concerned as the MB cabs aren't cheap.

Has any one any thoughts?

Dan

It certain sounds like it could have been your battery. But usually you get a bit of warning like a bit off distortion when you really dig in.
One of the things with 'rays is that the battery lasts so long (years sometimes) that you tend to forget about it until it catches you out.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332588114' post='1590312']
It certain sounds like it could have been your battery. But usually you get a bit of warning like a bit off distortion when you really dig in.
One of the things with 'rays is that the battery lasts so long (years sometimes) that you tend to forget about it until it catches you out.
[/quote]

Thanks! That was my thoughts but they didn't seem to make sense to me in my head. the last time the battery caught me out the 'amp' squealed like a certain scene from a certain film, so to have a blown speaker sound was a bit brown trouser time! And yes, the batteries can last years!

Thanks for the input, Im going to play about with it and see if it happens again.

Dan

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1332638996' post='1591132']
I got a very nice bass for not very much because it sounded bad, due to a run down battery. How easy is it to get at in a Stingray?
[/quote]
Very easy! A little flip case thing on the back and the battery just slots straight in.

Dan