Why become a member? ×

Songs we can't play any more

spinynorman

[quote name='Phantomnin' timestamp='1332617409' post='1590837']
I was thinking about it today....and I'm almost certain my middle aged angst completly trumps teenage angst. I wanted to go out and write an EMO album entitle...Teenagers, you don't have a clue what life has in store for you.[/quote]

If you listen to most Blood For Blood songs I think they'll trump any angst anyone has - anywhere.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332680257' post='1591498']We don't get any more requests for Anal **** on the wedding circuit anymore.[/quote]

An, Anal C**t. Them of the "Hitler Was a Sensitive Man" fame.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332686479' post='1591598']
Look at all these great Anal **** tracks the punters are missing :lol:
[/quote]

Philisteines, that's what I call them.

I was up in Leeds last week for the West Ham game. That's a strange old place. The ghost of Jimmy Saville was spotted on more than one occasion.

Crikey - there's a lot of out set list here.

Plus the edited lyrics:

Teenage Dirtbag (guns, dick)
Forget You (feel complete change even the title)

We used to do Lily Allen's Not Fair and our lead female vocalist changed some words because her kids were in the audience. I don't blame her.

We do Gary Glitter's 'leader of the gang'. It's still a new addition to the set but it's going down storm. I'd have thought if the 'general gig going public' were going to get upset by it they'd have told us by now.

We also do a bit of Amy Winehouse - doesn't mean we're supportive of substance abuse.

How many of us do Phil Spector stuff? Doesn't mean we're fans of murderers.

Granted that a lot of that early RocknRoll stuff was a bit, erm, questionable (didn't Chuck Berry actually get convicted of doing something with a girl in her mid-teens? - whilst Jerry Lee Lewis notably didn't IIRC), and pretty much anything by Glitter is a no-no, I can't help feeling we're getting a bit squeamish around these parts. I always thought that offensive and/or explicit lyrics were a perfectly acceptable part of the rock business - I played in a function band that did a lot of corporate and wedding gigs. We had 'Teenage Dirtbag' in our set for ages, and audiences loved it. We never, ever got a single complaint about it. Part of it is knowing what the audience is likely to tolerate of course, but even so....

If you took away all the songs with offensive lyrics just because they had offensive lyrics, most adolescents of the last 50 years would have had nothing to listen to at all!

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1332704953' post='1591960']
I was up in Leeds last week for the West Ham game. That's a strange old place. The ghost of Jimmy Saville was spotted on more than one occasion.
[/quote]

Jingle jangle :lol:

Un-f***ing-believable last minute let off :lol:

Paul Rodgers version of 'Good Morning Little School Girl' (tribute to Muddy cd) is quite disturbing and sounds (to me anyway) very sleazy. I skip over that track as I find it uncomfortable. However, Muddy Waters' rendition, on the Anthology cd, causes no such concern.

It was 'Claire' saying to her Uncle Ray that she wanted to marry him, not the other way round on Gilbert O'Sullivan's recording. Nothing untoward there.

[size=1](edit for spelling)[/size]

Edited by MSL

[quote name='MSL' timestamp='1332716186' post='1592157']
Paul Rogers version of 'Good Morning Little School Girl' (tribute to Muddy cd) is quite disturbing and sounds (to me anyway) very sleazy. I skip over that track as I find it uncomfortable. However, Muddy Waters' redition, on the Anthology cd, causes no such concern.

It was 'Claire' saying to her Uncle Ray that she wanted to marry him, not the other way round on Gilbert O'Sullivan's recording. Nothing untoward there.
[/quote]

Now that you mention Paul Rodgers what about "I'll be creeping" that's a very disturbing one.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332713320' post='1592123']
Jingle jangle :lol:

Un-f***ing-believable last minute let off :lol:
[/quote]

Oh yes, some strange sights. I was on a bus going back to the station and the driver said he wasn't going to let me off the bus because "... I hate southerners". Ha ha... classic. I think he was from Huddersfield. Bless 'im.

It was a bit of a let off but I think it was a fair result all round. As usual Colin W*nker was moaning about the ref afterwards/.

.. interesting discussion around all those songs about under age girls.

And yet as far as I know it's still OK to do 'Delilah' and 'Hey Joe'. Which are both about murdering someone.

Come to think of it, I'd love to see a band that did Delilah [b]and [/b]Hey Joe. Could make for a varied evening's entertainment! :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332755123' post='1592438']
...it's still OK to do 'Delilah' and 'Hey Joe'. Which are both about murdering someone.
[/quote]

Yes, but in the first case she deceived him, he watched and went out of his mind, and in the second he caught her messin' round with another man! Birds, eh? :rolleyes:

On the other hand, as a committed 'Guardian' reader I would have to say some sort of relationship counselling would indeed have been preferable to actual murder, but still...

'Hey Joe, where you goin' with that "Relate" appointment in yo' hand' doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it?

:lol: ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332755607' post='1592452']
Yes, but in the first case she deceived him, he watched and went out of his mind, and in the second he caught her messin' round with another man! Birds, eh? :rolleyes:

On the other hand, as a committed 'Guardian' reader I would have to say some sort of relationship counselling would indeed have been preferable to actual murder, but still...

'Hey Joe, where you goin' with that "Relate" appointment in yo' hand' doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it?

:lol: ;)
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Yes of course! I mean Delilah actually stood there laughing - what else did she expect??

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332755123' post='1592438']
.. interesting discussion around all those songs about under age girls.

And yet as far as I know it's still OK to do 'Delilah' and 'Hey Joe'. Which are both about murdering someone.

Come to think of it, I'd love to see a band that did Delilah [b]and [/b]Hey Joe. Could make for a varied evening's entertainment! :D
[/quote]

You're always welcome !!! We dropped Delilah a while back but we dig it out from time to time - our Hey Joe with a reggae ending has been going forever.

That - the Gary Glitter - the poor taste Amy Winehouse tribute ('other dead smackheads are available ') - the Sweet Home Alabama but let's not mention burning crosses - Jesus just left Chicago with the altered lyrics about bestiality has your average Christian heading for the door - Michael Jackson gags - Whitney gags etc etc etc

Dr Blue - Guaranteed to mildly upset everyone for our general amusement - long may it continue !!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1332759473' post='1592546']
Messin' with the kid... can't even get any further than the title..!!!

So that is quite a few blues bands sets ripped to shreds
[/quote]

We did that for ages and made a paedo gag about it !!

Political correctness in a pub band !!!!!!!! Whatever next. It will not happen while there's breath in my boidy I can promise you that!!