Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass amps

paul_5

Hi all, been doing a lot of gigs lately and am the size of my current rig is starting to get me down.

Sansamp BDDI - Ampeg SVP1550 into a Hartke Hydrive 410. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great and have spades of power, but I wish it was smaller and lighter. MUCH smaller and lighter.

Does anyone know how a PJB combo would compare to my current behemoth? Specifically looking at the CUB or Briefcase.

I have a cub and in a full band situation you need PA support as it is only loud enough for monitoring and you need it elevated or be sitting next it to hear yourself. However, couple that with one of their new powered cabs http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=125 and I reckon Robert is your mother's sibling.

Live I use a Mark Bass LMll with a Schroeder 1212L, a great combination. However, if I were starting from scratch I'd either go the above PJB route or an Ibanez 1x10 Promethean combo for practice and rehearsals then remove the head and couple it the Schroeder for gigs.

When I was on the hunt for a rig about 4-5 years ago, I tried a PJB Suitcase & whilst it had a lovely sound, didn't have much in the way of volume. I tried it back to back with a EA 1x10 combo & that blew the PJB away.
I ended up going for a MarkBass 2x10 combo & never regretted it. Get yourself to some shops & have a blast.

I've used PJB's for a few years. As has been said, great sound (which makes them excellent for practice/rehearsal/recording) but lacks oomph in a live situation.

Having said that, I got a chance to try out my Flightcase with one of the new 250w powered cabs a couple of weeks ago at Bass Direct and it certainly didn't lack power - 400w and felt like all of that (properly designed powered cabs do seem to punch above their weight against passive gear IMHO, which I think is because the designers are able to match the various system components so as to get the absolute best from them).

In the event though I've gone for a Streamliner 600/Vanderkley rig for about the same money as a Flightcase/PB300 (a little less actually), as it just sounded better to me in a back/back situation, and allows me to add a second cab as and when I feel the need for a lot less than the cost of a second PB300!

Maybe look at a slightly less extreme piece of downsizing?

I have two main gigging heads (a Gallien Krueger MB500 and an Orange Terror Bass),and two main gigging cabs (a Barefaced Compact and a Barefaced Midget).

Pretty much any pairing of head + cab from the above will provide enough oomph for most of the pub/club gigs I've ever played. On the rare occasion when I need more, both heads have two outputs so I can use either of them with both the Compact and the Midget, taking the sound to a new level.

The MB500 weighs as much as a heavy paperback and fits easily into the front pocket of a gigbag. The OTB weighs about 2Kg and comes with a shoulder bag. The Compact and the Midget weigh roughly the same, despite the different sizes, at about 12Kg. I can walk from the car park into the venue carrying my entire rig without difficulty.