Why become a member? ×

Which glue to fit new nut? (weird rattle behind fretted note)

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi

I'm the new owner of a 2010 US Jazz bass which is generally awesome but it needs a bit of work.

If I play a B (at 7th fret E string) and a D (7th fret G string) together as a double stop I get a weird rattle behind the fretted notes, which is caused by the E string vibrating and rattling on the frets in sypathetic resonance (I assume) but the fact it rattles tells me somethings wrong.

I cant tweak the truss rod yet as I'm waiting for the tools but was wondering if it needs a new nut?

I've read a bit about how to fit a nut and I'm confident I can do it with a pre slotted replacement but cant find a reliable answer as to what glue to use to fix it in place.

Any advice ? or am I way off with the nut thing and it actually needs a fret dress or will a simple truss rod tweak sort it???

Any advice most greatfully recieved.

one tiny drop of superglue to hold the nut in place is all you need; the string tension keeps it held down in place. Thinking on this, have you got your strings nicely wound down to the base of the tuning posts to maximise the angle over the nut? If not, then the lower pressure from the strings can cause unwanted vibration.

Guest subaudio

Thanks all.

All, I'm a bit worried that if I use superglue it will make it really hard to remove the nut again without damaging the neck wood in or around the slot, does this bear out in experience? Am mindful of damaging anything as I cant afford a proffesional to fix it and this is my only bass.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333363100' post='1600471']
Superglue is fine in very very minute ammounts... I doubt it will solve your problem here though.
[/quote]

Thanks again, just wanted to check for future refference.

Still waiting for the tr adjuster and bridge allen keys.