Why become a member? ×

Sub Bass Poweramp

KingBollock

I'm getting a stereo EQ that has a separate Sub Bass output with a cross-over selector. I am planning on putting this through the power-amp stage of my Peavey T-Max. The trouble with that is that it won't have an independent volume control. I won't be running it at proper Sub Bass levels, probably between 30 or 40 (once I remember how low the cab I'm planning on using will go) to 60hz. Would it hurt my amp if I were to put it through the Peavey's pre-amp so that I have greater control over it?
I know the stereo channels on the EQ each have a low pass filter set at 20hz but I don't think the Sub Bass output does.

Thanks.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Edited by KingBollock

Is this too obscure a sub-forum, the wrong forum or does no-one know?

Not to worry, I have an alternative I can try first. I have a little old mixer that's not much good for anything anymore, so I'm going to try running the Sub Bass channel through that and then into the power amp to give me some control over the volume mix.

Bit difficult to tell really innit!

Power amps get damaged when they overheat. How hot it gets will essentially depend on what's being drawn off it by the speaker. Lower the frequency, the more draw it'll take. All depends on the spec of the speaker, what frequencies you try to do and if the power amp can do that with that speaker.

A bit of suck it and see probably won't do no harm if you stick to the old axiom of turning it down if starts making horrible or unfamiliar noises.

Don't Peaveys have that DTT thing that might get in the way?

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1333741467' post='1606059']
Bit difficult to tell really innit!

Power amps get damaged when they overheat. How hot it gets will essentially depend on what's being drawn off it by the speaker. Lower the frequency, the more draw it'll take. All depends on the spec of the speaker, what frequencies you try to do and if the power amp can do that with that speaker.

A bit of suck it and see probably won't do no harm if you stick to the old axiom of turning it down if starts making horrible or unfamiliar noises.

Don't Peaveys have that DTT thing that might get in the way?
[/quote]
I'm not worried about the power-amp, just the pre-amp. I intend to use the power-amp as just another power-amp, without going through the pre-amp. I was wondering if I could actually go through the pre-amp, though, just to give me some control over the volume.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1333744466' post='1606104']
Got suitable cab? Also investigate if the fx return or power amp in on the amp is affected by the volume, might be best to go in there if it is.
[/quote]
Yeah, the cab will go down to 30hz, but I'm not planning on going that low, just to somewhere between 40hz and 60hz, it's not really for proper Sub Bass, it's just to add a little Bass for a house/garden party, for fun. I hadn't thought of the effects return, I shall check that out.