Why become a member? ×

String fitting woes

gary mac

My girls treated me to a set of D'Addario Chromes for my birthday a couple of weeks back and I decided to put them on my G&L this afternoon.

All was going well until tuning up the G string. It wouldn't. It just kept slipping and popping out of the tuner. After a few attempts it got weak and end snapped off, tried again and it just won't have it. :angry:

Not sure what went wrong, I didn't cut it any shorter than I normally would, infact did everything as usual.

I'm wondering if it could have been a faulty one, anyone had a similar experience?

I'm sure there's not much point going back to the shop, I'm guessing they will say it's out of their control, which is understandable but on the otherhand I've been changing basss strings since 1973 without incident, well apart from one occassion when I wasn't paying attention and snapped one.

It's left me feeling really glum and hacked off and they cost my girls around thirty notes :( .

So if anyone has a spare C'Addario Chrome flatwound G they can flog me it would be hugely appreciated.

I had exactly the same problem fitting a set of Ernie Ball flats to a Stingray a while ago. I bought them through Strings Direct. I mailed them asking if they supplied single strings and was sent a brand new G the next day free of charge.

So it might be worth asking the shop you brought them from.

Out of interest, are the winding posts on your G&L tapered? They are on the Rays, and as you wind the string down the post, they slip, and Im sure thats what caused the problem for me.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1333467444' post='1602138']
My girls treated me to a set of D'Addario Chromes for my birthday a couple of weeks back and I decided to put them on my G&L this afternoon.

All was going well until tuning up the G string. It wouldn't. It just kept slipping and popping out of the tuner. After a few attempts it got weak and end snapped off, tried again and it just won't have it. :angry:

Not sure what went wrong, I didn't cut it any shorter than I normally would, infact did everything as usual.

I'm wondering if it could have been a faulty one, anyone had a similar experience?

I'm sure there's not much point going back to the shop, I'm guessing they will say it's out of their control, which is understandable but on the otherhand I've been changing basss strings since 1973 without incident, well apart from one occassion when I wasn't paying attention and snapped one.

It's left me feeling really glum and hacked off and they cost my girls around thirty notes :( .

So if anyone has a spare C'Addario Chrome flatwound G they can flog me it would be hugely appreciated.
[/quote]
I'd certainly have a word with the shop first, I would expect them to be helpful, had good service from Stringbusters (no pun intended :lol: ) when I had a dodgy LaBella.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1333470375' post='1602224']
Out of interest, are the winding posts on your G&L tapered? They are on the Rays, and as you wind the string down the post, they slip, and Im sure thats what caused the problem for me.
[/quote]

There is a taper to the winding posts.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1333471507' post='1602249']
I'd certainly have a word with the shop first, I would expect them to be helpful, had good service from Stringbusters (no pun intended :lol: ) when I had a dodgy LaBella.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]
Yes I'll be on to them tomorrow John.