Why become a member? ×

TI Jazz JF344 Long Scale - Fit through body?

KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1333616536' post='1604173']
Can any users please say if these (Long Scale) are long enough for through body stringing, I'm wanting to fit to a MiJ '51 P-bass.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]
John, I've used these through the body on a Precision (although not a '51). They fitted OK but I did have a string break at the bridge on two occasions. I always use bridge stringing now.

Hi Dave,
I've got LaBellas, bigger gauges than the TI's on there now & never had any trouble with breakages, it's just the length to silk I was wondering about. BTW the bridge on my '51 is through only.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1333617709' post='1604207']
Hi Dave,
I've got LaBellas, bigger gauges than the TI's on there now & never had any trouble with breakages, it's just the length to silk I was wondering about. BTW the bridge on my '51 is through only.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]
Well, I believe the usual story is don't put La Bellas through the body but TIs are OK, so despite my experience and given your experience, you're probably safe. The only time I had a silk problem with TIs was with the B string on a G&L 2500 and through body.

Thought I'd let you know - they do fit - JUST B)
JF344s arrived today, good service from Stringbusters (again), fitted through body on to my '51P with just enough clearance, about 3mm from the nut to the silk on E string. They easily fitted through the bridge & body, no problem going over the bridge, they're so much more pliable than some I could mention. Of course they're a bit smaller gauge than I'm used to so they feel a bit 'girlie' at first but might need a 1/4 turn off the truss rod, when the neck settles, it's a bit too flat at the moment :mellow: They do suit the '51 well though, I pondered fitting them on my '62 but the're more suited to the B neck & not the C I reckon.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Fender%2051%20Precision%20Bass/110420121332-1.jpg[/IMG]

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

Nice one.
I have a set strung through on my 2009 Jazz and another set waiting to go on my Stingray once it arrives B) I like really like the feel of the Nickel and the TI's low tension, you can really dig- in with them and get some pop.
On the other hand I have La Bella's on my P's and they will stay there till they fall off or rust.
Lots of choice and variations out there in flats land.

Edited by Highfox

Now, ain't that odd? On my '51, there's 3/4 of an inch clear beyond the nut on the E., with all the other silks dead level about 3/4 inch below the string retainer...

Have these on all three basses. Cost a packet for a five-string set!

Edited by Telebass