Why become a member? ×

Proper fingering technique ( no dirty's please )

norvegicusbass

I am trying to learn and play on my bass Bach's Cello Suite No.1 in G major a tad cliched at the moment I agree but still fun to learn. However I am having trouble with the left hand fingering. I am playing it in low G and would like to avoid where possible open strings. I start the first bar on G on the E string ( third fret ) fretting with my middle finger then play D on the A string with my little finger then up to the G string where I play the B with my ring finger and A with my index ( so far so easy ) But then I must play B D B D with my little and ring fingers which has my little finger bridging over the D string. I find this fingering very hard and cumbersome and keep catching the D string a bit. I can play this far more fluently utilizing the open D string but like I said I want to avoid open strings where at all possible. Anyone know of any books or DVDs with the correct fingering for this piece? Or has anyone else tried it in low G and had any difficulties with this bit? Is it just a case of persevering and practice?

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1333648523' post='1604860']
Is this the Joaquin du Pres arrangement? I found it just came with practice. :( Sorry about that.
[/quote]
Do you finger it the way I said? If its down to practice then practice it is :) I was just wondering if it was a cack handed fingering that no-one else would use

Try to keep your thumb in the middle of the neck and opposite your middle finger and keep a
nice even curl of you fingers and you should be ok.
Personally though,I'd find that fingering a little uncomfortable in the lower positions(even though I can
do it) and would prefer to either shift positions or just use the open string.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1333672997' post='1605250']
With some basses, open notes sound very different to fretted notes, and you have to be more careful with muting. i can't think of any more reasons at the mo :)
[/quote]Yup! Also (may not apply to the Bach piece in question), generally speaking, open strings are rather difficult to slide up to or apply vibrato to.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1333672997' post='1605250']
With some basses, open notes sound very different to fretted notes, and you have to be more careful with muting. i can't think of any more reasons at the mo :)
[/quote]
But ultimately,as long as you play the correct notes,no one gives a sh*t if you fret it or not. Muting shouldn't be a problem,and the tonal difference is secondary to the actual pitch in the vast majority of cases.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333674240' post='1605254']
But ultimately,as long as you play the correct notes,no one gives a sh*t if you fret it or not. Muting shouldn't be a problem,and the tonal difference is secondary to the actual pitch in the vast majority of cases.
[/quote]

When it comes to my personal playing I totally agree, I go for whatever's easiest most of the time. Unless I'm accenting with a nice aggressive whack. I always prefer open strings for that ;)

Having smaller hands I just do what Doddy suggests. Try to keep my thumb on the back of the neck and shift up or down a little as and when required. I also think an open string sometimes sounds better than a fretted note, (at least on the A and D)

I am of course still a neophyte, in the art of bassage.

Edited by daz

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1333649256' post='1604877']
Do you finger it the way I said? If its down to practice then practice it is :) I was just wondering if it was a cack handed fingering that no-one else would use
[/quote]

yup, I use the same fingering. Don't follow the TAB either. it's been a while since I played this, but I seem to remember the positioning being a bit wonky and inefficient (feel free to jump in here Doddy). ;)

Edited by paul_5

Don't have my bass at work with me so trying to imagine this at my desk.
Is it possible to move your positioning from the A on the G string to Index finger on the B (G string) and ring finger over to the D.
It probably isn't the correct and right way to do it and i have no idea what the piece of music is but that's probably cheating and i guess if you are trying to improve your technique which in the long run will allow you to play structures correctly and easier then i would go with Doddy's suggestion and keep practising.

Dave

I've just got to a bass and tried it.
I'd say your fingering was correct. Just a case of learning it slowly, playing it accurately and gradually increasing tempo.
Another reason for avoiding open strings: You've spent ages learning a tricky piece (incorporating open strings) in F#, then the keyboard player says he can't play it in F# and would you mind playing it in G. :rolleyes:

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1333711562' post='1605541']
I've just got to a bass and tried it.
I'd say your fingering was correct. Just a case of learning it slowly, playing it accurately and gradually increasing tempo.
Another reason for avoiding open strings: You've spent ages learning a tricky piece (incorporating open strings) in F#, then the keyboard player says he can't play it in F# and would you mind playing it in G. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Yeah that is the main reason easier to transpose keys.

Avoiding open strings with this piece is definitely making your life harder - for one thing there's a sprinkling of low E's at various points. Not that you shouldn't give it a go mind - turning a problem into a challenge and so on... Are you doing it on a 5-string by any chance?

I just found what seems to be the standard tab for it and found it a bit awkward myself (allowing yourself to play open strings does open it up) - but you can have the link anyway. Also it's just a tab so you get no phrasing at all! :unsure:

Here it is: [url="http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/johann_sebastian_bach/cello_suite_no_1_in_g_maj_btab.htm"]http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/johann_sebastian_bach/cello_suite_no_1_in_g_maj_btab.htm[/url]

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1333711562' post='1605541']
[/quote]

Well I suppose the more advanced players among us, like Doddy can probably do both, without thinking too much about it. (ie: without hesitating) This should be what we all aim for.

ie: so we have a [i]choice [/i]of either open string or fretting a note, and using whichever is best for the circumstances.

Edited by daz

When I play this piece up the neck like John Patitucci does I fret the B with my little finger and the D with my index, but when I'm down the neck I think I'd play an open string and use varying degrees of muting with my right hand to compensate. The idea being that you get comfortable as you can with both, and find your preference later on.