Why become a member? ×

Shipping to Australia

Hutton

Not a bass, but shipped an SVT3 in a rack case to Oz recently, cost about £120 I think. I let the buyer arrange the courier so he could pick out insurance etc he was happy with.

Make sure you pack it to survive a nuclear war as it'll get tossed between a few planes and probably see some rough handling. I bubble wrapped it inside the flight case, then surrounded it with foam pieces, bubble wrap and those little polystyrene wotsits so it had a good few inches of packing each side - ended up a LOt bigger than the item so probably bumped the shipping up but got there safe and sound so worth doing.

I shipped a transformer to Aus, basically a solid lump of laminated metal. On the way it was x-rayed (didn't tell them much) and impounded as a possible explosive device (they called for an invoice copy, when I pointed out that there were 4 attached, they told me they were not prepared to go close enough to it to retrieve one) and when it arrived they'd still managed to damage it.

Thanks for the posts chaps. My son is in Melbourne for a year and is looking for bassplaying work. He is really intending to buy a bass there and then sell it before he comes home. I was just wondering if it would be worth sending him out one of his own basses from here. Buying a bass in Melbourne is probably going to be his best bet.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1333788290' post='1606375']
Thanks for the posts chaps. My son is in Melbourne for a year and is looking for bassplaying work.[/quote]

Years ago I shipped a Vamp head & a Vamp separately; strangely enough to Melbourne. If your son sees a T.Rex tribute with "Marc" playing Vamp amps over there chances are it's him. The buyer arranged FedEx to come for them - and for my part I double boxed both, with about 4" or more of bubble-warp all around.
The only "damage" was the mains indicator lamp was missing, but it was in the pics I took when packing, so it must have been loose in the packaging.