Why become a member? ×

Bass control cut/boost not boosting the signal,any ideas

bassmanady

I am guessing its a fault in the preamp,but hoping it may just be the tone pot that needs replacing.

Starting with the tone knob in the centre detent and boosting there is no change in volume to the bass frequency,
Starting with the tone knob in the centre detent and cutting has little effect on the volume/bass frequency until nearly turned all the way then it cuts quite a bit.
So for around 80% of its travel there is no change in volume or tone,
All the other controls still work fine.

Anyone had this problem or know what the problem could be
Thanks in advance
Ady

If the pot rotates without crackling or grating then it's unlikely to be that - they either work or they mechanically fail.
I presume you've already tried replacing the battery?

If so, you're potentially looking at a preamp fault or a failed connection.
What sort of bass is it?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1333908387' post='1608109']
If the pot rotates without crackling or grating then it's unlikely to be that - they either work or they mechanically fail.
I presume you've already tried replacing the battery?

If so, you're potentially looking at a preamp fault or a failed connection.
What sort of bass is it?
[/quote]just wishful thinking it may have been the pot,its my Yamaha bb2005,and i have tried a new battery,so need to get it looked at.
thanks

[quote name='bassmanady' timestamp='1333918735' post='1608328']
just wishful thinking it may have been the pot,its my Yamaha bb2005,and i have tried a new battery,so need to get it looked at.
[/quote]

The lowest grade component in all pre-amps that use 9V battery clips - is the battery clip. :)

Before you pay to have it looked at, take a careful look at it and make sure that the wires going into the little snap on connector haven't fallen off - give the red and black wires a gentle tug and make sure they stay put.

Follow those cables back to the points they are connected to (one to the jack socket and one to the preamp PCB usually) and make sure they're connected properly.

If the fault isn't there then it's going to need more in depth diagnosis, but you might strike lucky... :)