Why become a member? ×

Downsizing from Eden with Epifani to...?

TimmyC

Looking to downsize from an Eden WT550b with an Epifani UL310 series 1 to a combo with a similar sound. Obviously I'm going to be pushing less air and I've concieded that I may have to compromise in the tone department a little, but I wish to retain the warmth and clarity of this setup in a smaller (and hopefully cheaper) combo.

I've been out of the bass amp gear game for a while so any recommendations would be great!

What's your planned application? I've often considered getting a 2x10 instead of using a 3x10, but then a gig comes along with a crazy loud drummer or guitard and I have doubts that a 2x10 would cut it. The UL310 cabs are pretty compact little units - not a whole lot bigger than a 2x10. But if stage volume isn't a big issue then that opens up a few more avenues for you.

*EDIT* - another thought is going to a Epifani UL112. There's plenty of times where a single UL112, paired with a Markbass LMK head (which seems crazy loud for 500watts) is more than capable in handling a wide variety of gigs. So for a combo, maybe look at the new Genz Benz Shuttle 1x12 combo.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

Why are you downsizing? Do you want to get lighter or just smaller? Do you just want to release the cash in your rig? Will you be doing the same gigs with the new rig?

I'd keep the amp and get a Barefaced Compact. You'll be lighter, louder, smaller, move as much air and ultimately sound better.

If you need to downsize what you listed, be ready to compromise all round, IMV.

But thats ok, as long as you are prepared for that. I don't know what gigs you have to take on, but my minimum is 2x112 and a 400w amp for a small pub.
This is as small but as full range as I can get to.

Still, if you must, that UL310 should fly out in the FS forum.

Thanks for the responses.

So it basically boils to down to my current living arrangements. I'm lodging in a house at the moment with a couple of others. I don't physically have enough space in my room for my bass amp so it stays at my parents' house 300 miles away. Seems a shame, its not being used and I just borrow a really crappy combo from a friend for gigs. I'm not gigging that much at the moment as I'm mainly playing guitar but I do play maybe twice a month - enough to justify a decent -ish small setup.

The thing is I freakin love the sound of the Eden through the UL310! Physiologically I see the Eden as a big amp but in reality that's just because its at a 4U rack with a tuner. Maybe a better option would be to get rid of the rack and tuner and pair it with a smaller cab? I'm guessing the UL1x12 sounds similar to the UL3x10?

Chris, you mentioned a barefaced compact. Just did a google search, they seem cool. Maybe its about finding a good 1x12 to go with the eden rather than swapping out completely. If I do get some bigger gigs then I could always add an additional 1x12 later down the line? The eden can run down to 2 ohms too.

Just putting thoughts out there has helped. Any other cab recommendations which have a small footprint that sound similar to the UL310? How much do UL310's go for, would be a shame to sell it though, but doubt I could justify the £££ for an additional cab.

IMO and experience, 12's or 15's do not match up to multiple10's but you'll find plenty here who are satisfied using a single 12 or 15"
A single 210 is as big a compromise as a 115 or 112 but when you talk about doubling then you are into whole new territory.

If it were me, I would try and find a new storage home for the bass stuff as space seems to be the main driver in all this.
Somewhere warm and dry, like a band mates house. ha ha !! you'd have to go and collect it and handle it yourself though
as that would be expecting too much.

I do agree that Eden and Epi should be a quality rig...and not something I'd let go of easily.
What are you going to replace it with... ?? that thought would fill me with dread, tbh..!!
esp as cost will be a major factor and limiter, maybe.?

There was an Epifani UL310 on here about a week back - was up for £550ish I think.

From what I`ve read, the Epis have a scooped kind of eq. Barefaced are virtually as uncoloured as it gets, but then, that`s why you have Mid controls on the amp, little adjustment, all sorted.

A Barefaced Compact will be much easier to get about and store, prob a bit taller than the Epi, but nowhere near as wide. So the idea of taking the amp from the rack, and swapping in the Epi for a BF Compact would solve the space issue.

The only possible problem I can see is if you use the tweeter on the Epi - the Compact doesn`t have one. It does handle the highs very well, but not with that "tweeterish" sound.

Hi Tim, how loud do you need to go? My 112 sounds great but for band work I would always use 2.

In my view, the Compact is the best small 1 cab solution if you need more volume and a quality tone. The footprint of a Compact or 112 cab is smaller than the 310 and you can stack so you won't take up too much space. Do you have a communal living space? Can you store your gear there?

You could get a small 500 watt amp (everyone makes one) for the money you'd get by selling the Eden but the size reduction wouldn't be that great.

Need to be heard over a loud blues trio (40w valve amp and a loud drummer), I haven't played through a 1x12 before, only a 1x15. I used to have an Epifani UL1x15 which I reckon was loud enough. So do we reckon 1x12 wouldn't be able to hack it compared to the 3x10? I do prefer the sound of multiple 10's if I had the choice.

JTUK - maybe a new storage place would be better but leaving it at someone else's would be too inconvinient I reckon.

Lozz - thanks for the comparison. The eden EQ is very powerful so I'm sure I could make the barefaced sound a bit more scooped like the 3x10 if needed. I have the tweeter turned quite far down on the epi, just for a little crispness more than anything.

Chris - we do have a large lounge with some storage space but its being used at the moment by other people. Maybe I should ask to see if I can claim my third of the space...I reckon there might be room for the 310.