Why become a member? ×

Amp modelling SW and interfaces

spinynorman

I use my laptop for play-along practice. In the past, with old Thinkpads, I just plugged the bass straight into the line-in jack and it was ok. Ironically, as I've upgraded to more media friendly laptops, the option of just plugging in has got less and less usable. So, I tried an M-Audio Fastrack, which I didn't get on with at all, and now have a Line 6 UX1, which is fine with the right setting on the Gearbox amp modelling software.

However, at the same time I bought a relatively cheap Lindy guitar jack to USB cable from Amazon. I really can't see what the Line6 interface box is doing that the Lindy cable doesn't, it's the Gearbox software that's the added value.

So what I'd like to try is stand-alone amp modelling sw that works with the Lindy cable, so I can get rid of the box. Any recommendations, or am I mad to even try?

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1334325253' post='1614589']
So what I'd like to try is stand-alone amp modelling sw that works with the Lindy cable, so I can get rid of the box. Any recommendations, or am I mad to even try?
[/quote]

sounds entirely reasonable to me. IIRC, Guitar Rig works as a standalone bit of software on your computer and is happy to accept any audio input that works with your computer. Are you sue the line6 software wouldn't work with the guitar to usb cable anyway?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1334325439' post='1614593']
sounds entirely reasonable to me. IIRC, Guitar Rig works as a standalone bit of software on your computer and is happy to accept any audio input that works with your computer. Are you sue the line6 software wouldn't work with the guitar to usb cable anyway?
[/quote]

I couldn't get Gearbox to work without the UX1 box being plugged in.

Just seen the price of Guitar Rig, and also the Markbass Studio plugin. I think the problem is going to be the price of stand-alone software vs the acceptable solution I have that just has a slightly inconvenient box attached.

I've downloaded the free version of Amplitude to see if that's any good.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1334327241' post='1614654']
I couldn't get Gearbox to work without the UX1 box being plugged in.

Just seen the price of Guitar Rig, and also the Markbass Studio plugin. I think the problem is going to be the price of stand-alone software vs the acceptable solution I have that just has a slightly inconvenient box attached.

I've downloaded the free version of Amplitude to see if that's any good.
[/quote]

True. I think Guitar Rig is certainly worth paying for if you have the money but the real value lies in the number of different guitar tones you can get out of it, so maybe not that great if you only use the bass amp (although some of the guitar amp models work quite well for bass distortion, then you can bi amp with a bass amp for the lows to give you some pretty decent bass distortion). The markbass stuff on the other hand IMO is a bit of a rip off- I mean it is something like £4 a megabyte lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself