Why become a member? ×

E String on new flats dead, twice!

Jack

Hello guys,

I've always used Rotosound flats or La Bella rounds on my Fender P but recently decided to try Status strings, I bought a 40-100, long scale set of the flats. When fitted to my P the A, D and G strings all sounded great but the E was muted and totally dead. I called Status just assuming it was bum string and they sent me a new one but this one is the same. What's gone on here? The E just sounds tubby and has no volume whatsoever and I refuse to believe they've sent me two defective ones in a row. One thought I had was that the string proper is around the string winder, as in we're past the winding bit and onto the full-thickness part of the string, is this what's causing it? Should I have bought medium-scale strings? It's a full-size precision, just a standard MIA one and I've always bought long-scale strings in the past. Status do say that long-scale is 34" on their website.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

In theory it should make no difference as the nut itself should be at one end of the vibrating portion of the string (the bridge saddles being the other end obviously) and prevent any vibration from passing back to the machine heads.

I have noticed that some string brands seem to have a shorter 'tail' on some of my basses and I soon work out which ones to avoid using on particular instruments.

I stick to Elixir's or Rotosounds on everything nowadays.

'String proper' around machine head has never caused any problems on my basses, is the gauge on these larger than previous etc, just thinking 'nut' problem? especially since I have struggled to sort out a Yamaha BB which turns out to be nut problem.

Flatwounds do like a brass or metal nut, often why lots of old basses have them fitted as back in the day it was the only way to get a bit more twang, roundwounds were out, but a lot of basses could not take the tension, especially some of the Rickenbackers, they would crack the nut between the rods pushing the fretboard up, first sign is lifting inlays, thats usually a warning it starting.