Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Allen Woody pickups - phase question

ikay

I've just acquired an Epi Allen Woody and noticed that the mini humbuckers are wired out of phase. Control setup is VVT. When both pickups are turned all the way up the sound becomes very trebly and loses bottom end. I've checked the pickups using a multimeter and sure enough they are out of phase.

The pups have separate wires for hot, cold and earth so it's an easy fix to swap over the hot/cold wires on one of them, but I'm now curious whether they are intended to be out of phase.

Sounds unlikely but the reason I'm even asking is that there are some useful tones on offer around the point where the balance of the second 'out of phase' pup just starts to bite (around the '8' mark). The Woody has a very full bottom end and this adds a little edge and tightens up the low end without losing it altogether. On the other hand, with both pups up full it does lose a lot of bottom end which doesn't seem right.

If anyone reading this has an Allen Woody can you please let me know what the sound is like on yours with both pups maxed?

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian.

Sorry, I didn't realise they were out of phase. Just thought it was quite an interesting and useful setting.

Hope someone comes up with an answer for you. Maybe worth a google.

Let me know if it's a problem, dont want you to be unhappy with your purchase.

No worries Gary, I've now switched the wiring on the neck pup to bring it in phase which I'm pretty sure is how it should be. Great little bass with a huge sound and a lot of character, I like it a lot. Cheers! Ian