Why become a member? ×

Late 80s Tokai value?

jakenewmanbass

Been asked by a friend of a friend what the value is on a Tokai Super Ltd Series from approx 88/89
the only details I've been supplied are as follows:

Pearlescent White
TW451 basswork revolution on headstock
all original
good condition
made in Japan.

Any clues gents??

It's likely to appear for sale on here so I'll take this opportunity to say it is not a person I know, just been asked by a mates lodger.

I`ve no knowledge of that particular model, but when I bought my Tokai Hardpuncher I did some research by looking at previous sales on here, Talkbass, plus independent reviews where people stated what they paid, and the £400 that I paid for it was about right.

Japanese Tokais in the 80s are by far better than later models from other countires - there was a lawsuit against Tokai as their copies were of such good quality, but priced better, that the bigger companies got the hump with them. As such, an 80s Tokai is worth getting hold of.

that model isn't up there with the P and J copies. Is that the medium or full scale model? If you look on gumtree/ebay cash convertors in glasgow/partick has been trying to shift one for months. That said it's probably not a bad bass but I would look at the SGC Bass collections first

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334827724' post='1621815']
that model isn't up there with the P and J copies. Is that the medium or full scale model? If you look on gumtree/ebay cash convertors in glasgow/partick has been trying to shift one for months. That said it's probably not a bad bass but I would look at the SGC Bass collections first
[/quote]
Thanks, but no idea actually, as I said I've just been given a small amount of detail, the chap wants to sell...