Why become a member? ×

withdrawn

Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1334926486' post='1623570']
[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]One slab piece body (looks like Alder) [/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Are you sure it's not plywood? Only I had a Japanese Jazz that looked a lot like this, same era, 'MOP' blocked neck, different name on the headstock, and the body was ply.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1334961689' post='1624246']
Are you sure it's not plywood? Only I had a Japanese Jazz that looked a lot like this, same era, 'MOP' blocked neck, different name on the headstock, and the body was ply.
[/quote] aye it will be ply. you can tell by the way it's painted.

Question: where abouts is the crack on the headstock? I can't see it

ok guys , it just assumed it was a slab cos I couldn't see any joins in the body. I've looked in the control cavity and indeed it is ply, thanks for the heads up...... :gas: still looks, plays and sounds great!!!

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334961907' post='1624252']

Question: where abouts is the crack on the headstock? I can't see it
[/quote]across the circular bit of the headstock - it's been repaired quite well which makes it quite discrete

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1334965148' post='1624297']
It looks like ply because of the way in which the black paint covers the belly cut and the forearm cut where the ply would show if it wasn't blacked out.
[/quote]not denying its a ply body, but I still dont know what you guys are talking about when you say the paint job is obviously hiding its construction. I've owned plenty of sunburst guitars of varying standards and this looks no different from the rest of them.
The black pigment always goes round the outer edge of the bass and the edge surrounds.
This looks as good as any vintage Fender and definitely better than the shameful finishes I've seen on some of the Fender Mex basses.
I wish, before you guys that make these emphatic negative remarks all over someones post actually know what they're talking about.

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1335099127' post='1625666']
not denying its a ply body, but I still dont know what you guys are talking about when you say the paint job is obviously hiding its construction. I've owned plenty of sunburst guitars of varying standards and this looks no different from the rest of them.
The black pigment always goes round the outer edge of the bass and the edge surrounds.
This looks as good as any vintage Fender and definitely better than the shameful finishes I've seen on some of the Fender Mex basses.
I wish, before you guys that make these emphatic negative remarks all over someones post actually know what they're talking about.
[/quote]

Well, I only commented because you asked (in a post you've since deleted, I think) why someone would suggest that it was ply.

Not ply front:

Not ply back:

I don't know whether your bass is ply (well, except that you said it was ply after you looked in the control cavity) but the black paint covering the places where ply would show is exactly what happens on sunburst ply basses.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335103441' post='1625750']
Well, I only commented because you asked (in a post you've since deleted, I think) why someone would suggest that it was ply.

but the black paint covering the places where ply would show is exactly what happens on sunburst ply basses.
[/quote] exactly - well thanks for that!

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1335104813' post='1625771']
exactly - well thanks for that!
[/quote]
So, do you get why we thought it was ply and not solid alder and that we did know what we were talking about? They weren't 'emphatic negative remarks' but factual observations based on prior experience.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335108777' post='1625832']
So, do you get why we thought it was ply and not solid alder and that we did know what we were talking about? They weren't 'emphatic negative remarks' but factual observations based on prior experience.
[/quote]nope, still dont know what you're on about , your pix dont prove your bass aint ply or otherwise - as I said, you can't tell by the paint job, and that was what was said wasn't it?!

are these observations made by anyone who actually might be interested in buying the bass btw?

I know you all just wanna help, and its all said out of love

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1335109857' post='1625850']
nope, still dont know what you're on about , your pix dont prove that bass aint ply or otherwise - as I said, you can't tell by the paint job, and that was what was said wasn't it?!
[/quote]
The pics I posted show black paint not covering the belly or forearm cuts. That's how it commonly is on non-ply sunburst basses.

Your bass did not have that arrangement but instead had black paint hiding the fact (as you have since clarified) that the bass is ply. The arrangement of black paint on your bass is a very common sign (although not in itself a certain guarantee) that the bass is ply, and that's why people commented on it after you had said that it was solid alder.

A solid wood bass is very unlikely to have the black paint as it is on your bass. We know this from experience. You can tell stuff from the paint job.

The paint job is important and clear evidence that the bass is ply and, as you later confirmed, it is ply.

If that's not clear, then I give up.

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1335109857' post='1625850']
are these observations made by anyone who might be interested in buying the bass btw?
[/quote]
Probably not, but if the observations had not been made then some people might still be thinking that the bass was solid alder.

And, I think, the more you protest then the less likely you are to sell it here.

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1335099127' post='1625666']
not denying its a ply body, but I still dont know what you guys are talking about when you say the paint job is obviously hiding its construction. I've owned plenty of sunburst guitars of varying standards and this looks no different from the rest of them.
[/quote]

Should've gone to specsavers.

Away from the intricate nature of sunburst finishes on ply and wood (whip the control plate out for a photo if there is still questions) I think the far more interesting thing is the neck- I can't remember seeing a japcrap jazz with a maple neck with pearloid blocks (and no binding) anyone else? And the tuners look similar to the tuners you would get on tokai jazz sounds?
Quite exciting I think, I want to try it but too far :(

(and these observations are made by someone who regrets selling a japcrap jazz and if I were closer would be asking to come around and try it)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335111185' post='1625876']
A solid wood bass is very unlikely to have the black paint as it is on your bass. We know this from experience. You can tell stuff from the paint job.

The paint job is important and clear evidence that the bass is ply and, as you later confirmed, it is ply.

And, I think, the more you protest then the less likely you are to sell it here.
[/quote]this must be a ply wood bass too then I guess....
[url="http://www.gjsguitars.com/fender-american-precision-1995-tobacco-sunburst-electric-bass.ir?cName=bass-guitars-amps"]http://www.gjsguitar...ss-guitars-amps[/url]
and: [url="http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php/photo/18158"]http://www.tdpri.com...php/photo/18158[/url]
or this: [url="http://www.guitarplayersanonymous.org/Content/Fender_Jazz_Bass_50th_Anniversary_Ltd_Edition_1996_.asp"]http://www.guitarpla...ition_1996_.asp[/url]

you can tell by the way they're painted - apparently!

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335111185' post='1625876']
The arrangement of black paint on your bass is a very common sign (although not in itself a certain guarantee) that the bass is ply, and that's why people commented on it after you had said that it was solid alder.
[/quote]
I stand by what I said.

You asked for an explanation, I did my best to give it in good faith. It's not my problem, you sort it. Bye.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335113769' post='1625937']
I stand by what I said.

You asked for an explanation, I did my best to give it in good faith. It's not my problem, you sort it. Bye.
[/quote]thanks for your help!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1335113162' post='1625929']
Away from the intricate nature of sunburst finishes on ply and wood (whip the control plate out for a photo if there is still questions) I think the far more interesting thing is the neck- I can't remember seeing a japcrap jazz with a maple neck with pearloid blocks (and no binding) anyone else? And the tuners look similar to the tuners you would get on tokai jazz sounds?
Quite exciting I think, I want to try it but too far :(

(and these observations are made by someone who regrets selling a japcrap jazz and if I were closer would be asking to come around and try it)
[/quote]thanks mate !

Looks lovely. I personally wouldn't have placed the factoid about it being ply in the "cons" list though. Ply (especially '70s ply) is often more dense than some solid woods and therefore more resonant.

Btw as we are being so hot on peoples facts here, what is this "lawsuit" you speak of? :D